Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

Introducing myself and the Batmobile

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 04:03 PM
Bat
Default Introducing myself and the Batmobile

hi everybody...

My name is Brian. My fiancee and I are the proud owners of a new HCHII w/NAVI in Alabaster Silver Metallic.

We've had the car for about a week, I've been reading greenhybrid discussions for a week or two before that.

We deliberated between buying an HCH, a Prius, or an Insight. We chose the Civic Hybrid for the following reasons: (1) we own and love a '99 Civic; (2) we wanted a sedan for out-of-sight storage; (3) the fab reviews and safety ratings on the 2006 Civic; (4) like the looks of the 2006 Civic; (5) the Insight was too darn small; (6) the Prius was more expensive for the features.

I've filled up once so far, put 9.9 gallons in when the odometer said 456.4 miles. That's 46.1 MPG... the car told me 43.9 MPG, not sure what accounts for the difference. With 250 miles or so on the second tank, we're getting 47 MPG according to the trip meter.

I love the car inside and out! This is not only our first hybrid, but our first new car, and I'm loving the climate control, the NAVI, the design of the interior, the shinyness of the exterior, the whole package.

I live in L.A. but I bought it in Sacramento (where my parents live) because I could get it for MSRP there and not here. Unfortunately my MPG are getting killed by rush-hour traffic, otherwise I think I could be getting at least in the 50-60 range by now.

We have named our car "the Batmobile". Our current apartment is called the Bat-cave, and this is by far the most gadgetlicious car we've owned, so the name seemed to fit.

I've enjoyed reading these forums so far and hope to find more helpful tidbits and maybe contribute a little as time goes on.

Best,
Brian

Old 04-01-2006, 06:44 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Introducing myself and the Batmobile

Welcome, Brian! Nice choice on the car. Yes, the decision on which to buy can be tough.

Btw, the batmobile is black, just fyi. Oh, wait, we can't get the HCH in black, can we?

Old 04-02-2006, 12:56 AM
Prof. of Hybridology

And is your fiancee Robin?

Welcome to GH, feel free to look around, ask questions, and enjoy your new hybrid.

Old 04-02-2006, 06:39 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Good luck with you new car and enjoy it. I get mine on 4/18/6 and I cannot wait.

Old 04-02-2006, 07:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by samajhna
I've filled up once so far, put 9.9 gallons in when the odometer said 456.4 miles. That's 46.1 MPG... the car told me 43.9 MPG, not sure what accounts for the difference. With 250 miles or so on the second tank, we're getting 47 MPG according to the trip meter.
Welcome Brian. The difference I've always thought is because the computer is constantly calculating an MPG number based on some parameters of a model, driving conditions, throttle usage, etc. I am pretty sure it does not actually measure the fuel coming into the engine and dividing by the number of miles as we do when we fill up. I've never seen one of these trip computers to be completely accruate.