Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

I drive a guzzler

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 08:26 PM
Banned
Default Re: I drive a guzzler

Originally Posted by jfman
What's wrong with te insight and long road trips ?
I've driven a couple of times from Dallas to Colorado and was fine. The seat padding is not good. I'm sure Honda wanted to keep it light. Only when the trip exceeds an hour does it start to bother me. My solution is to put a seat cushion on it.

Old 02-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Ummm....having a standard does not mean a hybrid will have shorter battery life.

The likely reason the 2000 Insight has more battery failures is it was the first year Honda introduced hybrids to the U.S. Later modes are better, as Civics and Accords.
I will 2nd that , all auto manufacturers normally have issues with thier new released models the first year...
laurie Quote:
I drive a 2002 ford lightning 12/16mpg

My truck will be paid off in 8 months so i'm shopping for a gas saver.

my hubby had one of those when i met him. he could pass everything but a gas station.

he now drives my old 93 civic, and gets close to 40 mpg.

welcome

I had a 87 F150 4spd w/granny 1st, it got 6mpg city and 10mpg hwy It cost me $75 a week to drive..

I traded it in for a tundra w/V6, 18mpg city & 22mpg hwy. (you will find once youv'e owned a truck, you will always have need for one after you get rid of it).

I got the wife in 04, a prius 04' she loves the car (she also has the longest commute..
Poor guy has to drive the wifes OLD CAR! lol j/k.

Last edited by PriusGuy04; 02-11-2006 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

What's wrong with te insight and long road trips ?
If your main concern is long-trip fuel economy, then the Insight would be a great choice as a second car. I can sit in the Insight for several hours with little discomfort, even less when I'm the one driving. When I think of the alternative of taking the moderately more comfortable Prius on road trips, the extra mileage in the Insight seems worth it. When it comes a 3000 mile road trip, the difference becomes more noticeable in economy between 50 mpg (about what I get I get in the Prius at 70 not drafting) and 68 mpg (same speed in Insight not drafting). The Insight would save about 16 gallons in that trip under those conditions, or at about $2.40/gal, $38. But really it all comes down to how you feel in each car. Some may find it worthwhile to pay more for a cushier ride. After all, 3000 miles at 70 mph is still a long time to sit in any car.

Old 02-12-2006, 12:03 AM
Enthusiast

well it's 1500 miles, twice... so it's not 3000 miles in a row.

I do the whole trip in one day 23hours of driving.

I used to own a 1995 accord 5sp couple years back and I had a geo metro up unitl a couple weeks ago.

The accord got better mileage than the 3cyl geo on those trips. Kinda odd. I guess the 3cyl was strugling to keep that 7- mph cruise but the accord was not struggling I dont know.

Old 02-12-2006, 09:35 AM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: I drive a guzzler

Hi jfman;

I have owned 3 Ford Lighting pickups and really liked them. They were like lets go, get on down the road. All did I forget to mention that the Bright red one had a Vortech Supercharger on it. Now there is some Very Serious Power and Fun.

All I bet your wondering where this is going? Gas 93 Octane was not $3.50 Per Gallon. So at like 12 MPG I don't think that would work.

If you want some Degree of Comfort go with the Prius or the Civic Hybrids. The Civic Hybrids get better FE on the Hwy. and will run all day at 70 MPH.

If your But will take it the Ultimate Mileage Vehicle still is the Honda Insight. Just a question here as to your Personal Comfort Level.

Let us know which way you go?

Luck;

Terry

BTW; I tried them all out and went with the 06 HCH II, Due at dealer this Month.

Old 02-13-2006, 07:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I'm looking at the insight mostly.
From a 2002 Ford Lightning to an Insight. That should be an interesting story. Please keep us posted.

By the way, I am no expert but I am not sure the Insight comes with cruise control if that is important to you.

Old 02-14-2006, 05:29 AM
Enthusiast

Im not gonna sell the truck, Once it's paid of I will buy a gas saver.

Old 02-14-2006, 05:56 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I had a Toyota pickup I sold when I got my HCHI and there are times I miss it. They are nice to have when you need them. Now I just make due and use the Tahoe when I need plywood...lol it does fit.kevin

Old 02-14-2006, 06:18 AM
Banned

There is nothing wrong with keeping a truck to use it as a workhorse as it was intended...

Old 02-14-2006, 12:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

azmerf is correct: no cruise control for the insight. but they are available for a few hundred. always seems to be one on ebay.

fwiw, i am quite comfy in my insight, but the longest trip i have taken in one shot was only 110 miles . otoh, i do drive it every day to work, about 15000 miles per year. saving a ton of cash on gas!!!

Quick Reply: I drive a guzzler

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands