Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

Hello New Here

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 07:23 PM
Enthusiast

Just wanted to introduce myself. Purchased 2004 HCH last Friday - Automatic Trans, Shoreline Mist Color, $300 under invoice with 2.9%.
Only 39mpg so far with 400miles (Yes, I'm upset, but I'll read the forums first before asking the obvious).

I tried to join the yahoo group also but they have some **** **** filtering system with new members - apparantly I'm not "intelligent enough" to figure out the instructions, as the moderator says in the subscription letter.

Glad to be here!

Aaron

Old 03-31-2004, 07:37 PM
Site Founder

Welcome to GreenHybrid!

I think I tried signing up for that Yahoo group once. I don't recall, but believe I didn't complete the process because I found it to be insulting and barbaric.

Old 03-31-2004, 08:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

yemenmocha,
I'd also like to welcome you to the group.

When I got the same petition my wife told me to just delete it because they only want to call (us) stupid.
Your car is bran new and isn't broke in at all.
Mine got the same MPG and I saw a good improvement after about 1,500 miles.

If you want to drive your new car just like a regular car without any special habbits that favor good MPG you can expect around the EPA estimates after break in.
Most folks drive "normally" and thats' fine.
Me, I can't stop there. (pun?)
I've gotta push it to the limit and "see what she'll do".
Each drive for me is a new challenge for better MPG and I have alot of fun.
This is a game I play: IE my "HI SCORE" on the Left.
I even keep a cheap Poloroid PDC 640 camera in my car for screen shots!
(Ok now THAT'S a little nutty!)
My non-rush hour commute favors my ability to get the great numbers.

How do you like the auto stop?
My first few times it was SO STRANGE and I always wanted to try to restart it!
Now I always wonder why all those other vehicle's engines are running all around me at stops and think THEIRS are strange and wasteful!

I think I know what your question is, and our good friend Wayne (xcel) is the "King" of MPG (as far as I'm concerned ). He has an Insight which is similar to the HCH IMA.
He exceeds 100MPG in his Insight at times!
He is always willing to help and I think he is working on a good article.

Anyway I just wanted to welcome you.
Feel at home.
Steve & family

Old 03-31-2004, 08:39 PM
Site Founder

Originally posted by Hot_Georgia_2004@Mar 31st 2004 @ 11:08 PM
I think I know what your question is, and our good friend Wayne (xcel) is the "King" of MPG (as far as I'm concerned ). He has an Insight which is simiar to the HCH IMA.
He exceeds 100MPG in his Insight at times!
The king?? Fat chance! Rick averages 90 over 100 tanks. Wayne averages 80 over 13 tanks. Both are stellar, may I add, though.

Mark -- 3 tanks don't earn you a place in my mental congratulatory list

Old 03-31-2004, 09:15 PM

Hi Yemenmocha:

___Welcome to the forum and congrats!

___As for the Yahoo groups, I would recommend signing up for the Yahoo – Honda-Hybrid group instead of the particular Civic or Insight groups. There is more worthwhile discussion/activity imho that you may be interested in.

___Jason, I only wish I had Rick’s ability … with that being said, look at the average temperatures I have had to drive in over the last 3 odd months and 11,200 miles by comparison I won’t make it to 89.x lmpg but I might make it to 83 - 84 lmpg by early fall … Afterwards, down she goes again when traveling in -10 to + 20 degree F temperatures and those darn winter road conditions

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 03-31-2004, 09:25 PM

I guess there's room for a few kings!
I'm very appreciative of Wayne because he freely shares his knowledge with us,
and does so in a plain easy to understand way.

As a new Hybrid driver (myself included) I think most of us will search for ways to maximize our investment.
Although most do post their helpful tips, of all the power user's tips I see Wayne's the most.

Steve & family

Old 03-31-2004, 09:42 PM
Contributor ($)

Welcome yemenmocha.
Now the fun begins. You mentioned that you're currently at Only 39mpg so far with 400miles, but that's o.k. That just means you have plenty of room for upward movement.
There's nothing more satisfying than moving that lietime average upwards!
You'll be amazed at how quickly the car will hep "teach" you ways to drive more efficiently.

Good luck and have fun!