Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Foreign cars pass Big 3

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 09:51 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Foreign cars pass Big 3

While it does seem to be getting a bit testy in this forum, sales numbers really do speak for themselves. The UAW "buy American" montre no longer appeals to consumers and domestics simply are inept at producing vehicles cunsumers want. I recently read an article about a rating agency which lowered Ford and GM (again) because of their poor pipeline of future products, wish I could find the reference to be more specific. We all have had our experiences with vehicles (my 2004 Ford ambulance at work has lost 2 emission systems, a trans and an air conditioner twice in 100 degree heat, not to mention my fortunate escape from my Escape into a Ridgeline) and everyone has a horror story. Having owned GM and Ford I can't really say either has the shown the reliabilty of my Hondas. The fact is that domestic automakers are losing market share, sometimes by double digit percentages in some quarters, and Americans want quality vehicles and don't care if they're imported, domestic or built by someone with a union card or not. Foreign companies seem to have more foresight into where market conditions will go and have a better ability to change quickly to meet tastes and demands from the market. Did the fact that Toyota passed Ford this quarter and will eventually pass GM really surprise anyone?

Old 08-02-2006, 09:57 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

As far as GM's unreliability... I just haven't been able to forgive GM for the MANY times that the Fiero / Grand AM / Grand Prix left me or dad stranded. This happened dozens of times. Never again![/QUOTE]

Evidently a lot of people share this sentiment. Wasn't it but a couple of years ago that Rick Wagoner issued a public apology for the poor quality of GM products and promised to do better? GM itself admits a large portion of the car-buying public will never consider a GM car (over 1/3 if I remember correctly). When did Honda or Toyota apoogize for a generally poor product? I think it was...never.

Old 08-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Enthusiast

AshenGrey, don't forget the Hummer line-up. they get pretty bad gas mileage. I believe that is GM.

Old 08-07-2006, 06:44 PM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Re: Foreign cars pass Big 3

What I have noticed in the media is a lack to communicate one of the major reasons the US auto industry is in decline. I have read articles and have heard speeches stating that the boycott on US goods is begining to take its toll. Here is one link just on Saudi Arabia. Now, I know this topic is only discussing domestic sales. However, I believe this is really part of a global issue.
Just thought I would add this bit of info.
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines02/0620-01.htm

Thank you.