2010 Honda Insight

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2010 Honda Insight

If you are looking at comparing the EX model to the LX the main difference is interior included features like Cruise Control, Map Lights, Vanity Mirrors, no iPod/USB port, no AUX but some dealers install as an addon. Externally the differences are Standard side mirrors without turn signal indicators, alloy wheels.

As for the difference in the Prius, I test drove it about 3 to 4 times before making the decision toward the Insight.

The opinion level will vary depending on which camp you come from. I have had Honda based cars for a while. So if you speak with someone who only owns toyota then you will get the opinion swayed to the toyota.

You could buy new, but anyone here can and most likely will correct me if I am wrong, but Toyota only covers the Used Certs for 1 year 12,000 miles. So if something were to go wrong with the battery pack after a year then you might be out of luck.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
I suggest you go to insightcentral and post there. You'll get a lot more feedback, often from drivers who have now owned both cars you're interested in comparing. Most there will say that the Insight is significantly more fun to drive than the Prius and much more comfortable.
InsightCentral seems to have a great forum section. It's so overloaded with advertisements that it is ainfully slow to read any posts there. I have a pretty fast Internet connection and aI nap wwhile pages load on that web site

Old 06-04-2009, 06:06 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: 2010 Honda Insight

Originally Posted by MrEWorm
InsightCentral seems to have a great forum section. It's so overloaded with advertisements that it is ainfully slow to read any posts there.
Yes, insightcentral is an active and informative site. I recently proposed that the site be expanded to accommodate all forthcoming Honda hybrid models, i.e., an all-Honda hybrid site for Insight, CR-Z, Fit, and the venerable Civic, etc. My idea met with much interest. For me, the site pages are generally quick to load, but sometimes 'hang,' which I can overcome by hitting 'reload' once or twice. The slowest related site I've found is vtec.com which is beyond lethargic, especially to post a comment.

Last edited by stevenvillatoro; 06-04-2009 at 06:10 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:16 PM

I was hoping I would be able to create a new DIY guide for people who would like to add a Backup Camera to thier Honda Insight.

Since Honda decided not to include one on this car (which it really needs) I wanted one that did not look aftermarket.

I ordered a new Auto-Dimming Rear View mirror with Integrated 2.5" LCD which included a Sony based CCD. I recieved the mirror and camera in the mail but to my surprise the webstore shipped me one that looked nothing like the picture from the website. Not only did they send me the wrong item, it was a completely different manufacture.

I ordered a Gentex Series 5 with 2.5" LCD, what I recieved was a Rostra Rearsight. Normally I wouldn't care that much, but this mirror does not have the CAMLOCK feature that Honda uses on all their cars.

Sent an email to the company with no response. I called several times and finally got someone on the phone. The company is VISORVIEW.COM. From Dun and Bradstreet this is a small 4 person operation. I informed this person that the mirror sent is the wrong mirror. I was then told this is the correct mirror and that Rostra mirrors are made by Gentex. (This is unverified I have a call into Rostra to validate claim)

I then informed the person on the phone that I would really like them to ship me the mirror that is pictured on the website which then I was informed that this is the mirror. At this point I asked if I could return the mirror but keep the camera. I was informed that I would need to ship it at my expense and suffer a $25.00 restocking fee.

I then asked if they have ANY other solution of which the person on the phone infomed me of an external LCD. The LCD would cost me $20.00 more and I wouldn't have to pay for shippment to me. (Still would need to ship other mirror back).

In any case, I will attempt to order a Camlock adapter that is used on Gentex Mirrors to see if I could use this mirror. If I can, I will continue to write the DIY guide for the backup camera.

Alternatively, Donnelly (Magna) makes the LCD based Auto-Dimming Mirror for the Honda Pilot with Nav but the cost of that mirror is $410.00 wholesale price.

Last edited by arbittan; 06-06-2009 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Corrections
Old 06-05-2009, 05:19 PM

BTW my old Honda civic hybrid is still kicking. If anyone remembers I traded it in at my long term Acura dealer and the manager purchased it. He told me today it now has 30,000 miles. !!!!

Old 06-07-2009, 06:19 PM

44.1 mpg