Insight Battery is Gone!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Insight Battery is Gone!

My car, a 2000 is 11 years old with well over 120,000 miles and is on the ORIGINAL BATTERY PACK. So a lot depends on how you drive it, and how you store it when not driving it. Heat is hard on the battery and shortens life. Mine spent half time in New England and half time in Colorado.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:02 AM
Enthusiast

hello
Is your car driveable?
Do you have paddle shifting?
What was your mileage before your battery died?
if you have paddle shifting try shifting past third gear manualy
and after 4 gear put the shifter into drive and see if that works and what the milage is

Mark Waller

Old 07-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
My car, a 2000 is 11 years old with well over 120,000 miles and is on the ORIGINAL BATTERY PACK. So a lot depends on how you drive it, and how you store it when not driving it. Heat is hard on the battery and shortens life. Mine spent half time in New England and half time in Colorado.
I just replaced my 2000 Insight battery pack with a $1100 rebuild from Hybrid Revolt (contactus@hybridrevolt.com) and an original BCM*. The car is charging/assisting just like when it was new...

*If you are going to use a dealer, see an associated thread I just wrote on 'Beware the Upgraded BCM'...

Old 10-29-2011, 11:21 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Can it be modified to ICE only?

yes the honda insight can run like a normal car, I did it to mine, no more battery for me. just disconnect connector A on the bcm. thats it. will run a lot slower not too much slower, but you will still get 45-54 MPG thats what iam getting now

Old 10-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Enthusiast

yes the car will run on its motor only, just disconnect the A connector from the BCM thats all get 40-54MPG thats what iam getting now

Old 10-29-2011, 11:27 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdbrooks
Well I just received word yesterday from the dealer that my Insight battery is gone. I have 104K on the car so its way out of the warranty. My 2000 Insight has been a wonderful car. The service manager told me yesterday that I could expect to pay upwards of 5K to replace. This is not good news. The dealer is currently contacting Honda to get a firm price for the replacement and they will let me know on Monday. The dealer here in Austin, Texas stated that this would be the second replacment they have done this past month on an Insight. Does anyone know how much this might be exactly? I am really shocked I am at this point already. I was expecting this not to happen for at least a couple of more years or ever at all. Is this a common problem? I owe 5K on my Insight so if I am going to have to invest an additional 5K just to keep it going in normal operation they can forget it. At this point I would consider my car totaled. All of that gas money I have saved over the past couple of years just came due in one large payment. Hopefully HOnda will come through and offer me something a little more reasonable.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:11 AM
Enthusiast

And besides Hybrid Revolt mentioned above, there's also Re-Involt Technologies for rebuilding battery packs.

http://www.re-involt.com/

Old 04-24-2012, 08:42 PM
Energy Harvester

My Insight Battery is going. (Frequent recalibrating.)
Does anyone provide a plug-in replacement battery?
It is a wonderful lightweight and aerodynamic car to upgrade to get even better milage. The car has less than 60,000 miles.

Mark von Wodtke

Old 10-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Enthusiast

I just had a similar episode with a similar price estimate. Just posted about it today.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:02 AM
Enthusiast

My battery is completely offline, no auto-stop, no assist and no charging. So on strictly gas power I'm getting 53-plus mpg. Can I just remove the battery?

Quick Reply: Insight Battery is Gone!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands