Insight Battery is Gone!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 06:23 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Insight Battery is Gone!

Hi All - It's because I found this thread that I knew hope wasn't lost when my IMA light came on indicating system failure in my 2002 Insight. (IMA System Failure Codes P1600, P1601, P1542)

My warranty had JUST expired (by 5 days and/or 18,000 miles -- my car has 118,100 miles on it) and I was loaded with the news that it would cost $5000 to replace the hybrid battery and install the computer system. I took it to the top, as was recommended by many of you here, and called Honda of America. (I got the number from my Honda Dealer service man.) I explained the situation to them -- sure to include the info gleaned from this tread-- and was given a case number and told they would look into my situation. I'm happy to report that no more than 24 hours later did I receive a call from my dealer informing me that Honda of America had contacted them; the warranty had been extended!!! I live in DC and my service man said that the memo for the extended warranty had been released a long time ago and they didn't remember they had it (!!). Either way, they are now going to replace everything for free!! I just wanted to say THANK YOU for renewing my spirits! And for those of you in this situation, don't give your dealer a PENNY until you exhaust all of your other options! Vive hybrid drivers! Don't lose hope!

Also, FYI - for those of you who have IMA system failure, it IS possible to still drive your car without the hybrid battery! I've been driving mine for a week now while waiting for news from Honda, and have noticed that it acts a tad bit different, especially when backing out or starting after a light...the engine shudders like it is going to quit. Just be gentle, let momentum help you ease out of standing position and you should be fine until you get your battery replaced or make a decision to act otherwise.

Thanks again to all who shared their wisdom!

Old 12-11-2009, 08:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

the electric motor is pretty much bullet proof...it's just the battery that isn't. think about it...IMA...integrated motor ASSIST...doesn't sound like it needs to be there in order for the rest of the engine to work.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Enthusiast

Don't feel bad....I brought my 2002 Insight into the dealer today for battery pack number.......FOUR! With 54,700 miles, I'm beginning to realize that central Texas heat is killing these batteries.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Enthusiast

The last time I had my battery pack replaced under warranty, the Honda dealer in Killeen, TX said it cost $3,000.......and it is a reconditioned job to boot.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Enthusiast

jdbrooks

last week i was on line reading abou hybrid replacement batteries
and it was suggested tha a similar electric car battery would do as a replacement.
thank you
mark
p:s:if i find it again i will copy and post it here.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:19 AM
Improviser

Hello, Insight-fulls,

Does any-one know where/how to get full copy of Honda TSB (Technical Service Bulliten) #06-057: Warranty Extension, IMA Battery Module, 2000-2004 Insight. I am an independent dealer in California, and I have a '01 Insight, 117k miles, that apparently needs an IMA battery module. One of the local Honda dealers, Hayward Honda, said the extended warranty doesn't cover my Insight, and I would have to pay $3k. From what I've read on this forum and from searching the NHTSA (Nat'l Highway Traffic Safety Admin, www.nhtsa.gov) website, the document (TSB#06-057) exsists. The NHTSA's downloads only gives one of the five-page document saying, "page 1-4 have been ommitted due to copyright restriction." The one page given, page 5, states the batteries are covered by the 10/150k warranty extension. This may be all I'll need, but I'd like to have the full bulletin to present to the dealer.

Thanks for any help,

Dan

Old 03-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Enthusiast

hi
i called my dealer parts dept and asked for tsb 06-057
they said they would fax a copy and as soon as it comes
through i will try to attach it or edit this.

thank you
mark

Old 03-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Enthusiast
Default RE:warrenty extention:insight ima battery module

background
Note: because of a class action settlement, the warrenty extention coverage for the ima battery module 0n 2002- 04 insights purchased or leased between april 13, 2002 and november 7, 2006, is now 10 years or 157,500 miles, whichever occurs first. for more information, refer to service bulletin 06-085,

2000-04 insights 10 years 150,000 miles warrenty covers 43 states
texas florida california nevada arizona colorado hawaii service bulletin 06-027

to verify warrenty extention eligibilty, you must do a VIN status inquiry

corrective action
replace ima module if it has failed. in addition, replace the battery condition monitor and the motor control module on 2000-01 models, or on 2002-04 models, replace the battery condition monitor only.

Parts service bulletin 00-070

google or bing this part numbers for 2000-01 insights with m/t
1K100-phm-a01,06060-phm-307, 1k000phm-a01

2001 insight with cvt
ima battery module
ima repair kit:
p/n 06060--phm-309, h/c 7595408, (contains a BCM[p/n 1k 100-phm-a01, h/c 7687452],
and an mcm [p/n 1k000-phm-a01,h/c 7595408])

all 2002-04 insights
ima battery module
battery condition monitor: p/n 1k100-phm-a01,h/c 7687452

for full copy reply with fax number

thank you
mark

Last edited by wallermark; 03-04-2010 at 01:45 PM. Reason: added part numbers and spelling
Old 01-10-2011, 07:00 AM
Enthusiast

My dealer (San Jose, Ca.) is quoting $2000 + $500 labor to install a rebuilt battery pack (2000 Insight), so their seems to be a cost variation depending on dealers...

Old 05-05-2011, 04:40 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdbrooks
Well I just received word yesterday from the dealer that my Insight battery is gone. I have 104K on the car so its way out of the warranty. My 2000 Insight has been a wonderful car. The service manager told me yesterday that I could expect to pay upwards of 5K to replace. This is not good news. The dealer is currently contacting Honda to get a firm price for the replacement and they will let me know on Monday. The dealer here in Austin, Texas stated that this would be the second replacment they have done this past month on an Insight. Does anyone know how much this might be exactly? I am really shocked I am at this point already. I was expecting this not to happen for at least a couple of more years or ever at all. Is this a common problem? I owe 5K on my Insight so if I am going to have to invest an additional 5K just to keep it going in normal operation they can forget it. At this point I would consider my car totaled. All of that gas money I have saved over the past couple of years just came due in one large payment. Hopefully HOnda will come through and offer me something a little more reasonable.
Batteries in Honda Hybrid vehicles disappoints. They use Integrated Motor Assist (IMA) technology. The battery regulates gas power to electric power ratio, in that case there's a need to replace the batteries very often. Rebuilt battery is priced around $2,500.

Quick Reply: Insight Battery is Gone!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands