Summer of '08 HCH High Scores

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Joe Go Slow!
Default Re: Summer of '08 HCH High Scores

So far this summer, I've been averaging around 56 per tank when I drive the car, 50 when my wife drives (she likes to use the AC). It hasn't gotten REALLY hot here yet, and based on last summer, I expect my mileage to drop a bit when things really heat up.

I'd love to know how you're getting 70mpg. Heck, I'd add a sail if it would help - anything to get better mileage! I do about 50% city and 50% highway (about 12 miles highway) each way on my daily commute. Unfortunately, it's a little hilly where I live, and climbing those hills really eats my mileage.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

A recent morning commute to my work. About half way I have to drop off my kids at the daycare. Average speed is about 40 mph. Lots and lots of traffic lights. No highway driving. Temperature was in the mid to high 60s, so no A/C. I didn't get a pic of the commute back, but it was around 68 mpg. (I had to turn the air on for my daughter.)

Recently though it has gotten considerably warmer ( 90's) and humid. My wife needs the A/C on. We keep it around 75, but man does the mileage take a hit. I'm lucky to get 60 mpg.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jess

(I had to turn the air on for my daughter.)

My wife needs the A/C on.
Reason for me to say single as long as possible!

Old 06-06-2008, 06:07 AM
Joe Go Slow!

Full tank, around 98 deg, round trip from work to home and back again. About 12 miles is on I-40 through Raleigh/Durham, and I'm driving at about 60mph. No AC, windows slightly cracked on the highway when the heat gets too much to take, then up again. The rest of the trip is city roads, stoplights, and hills (boo!). I was up to 76mpg on the way home, but that last climb to my house knocked me back down to 57.3. I was happy to make it back up to 60.3 on the way back to work today.

Of course, I wish I could have kept up this mileage that I got coasting away from the gas station

Last edited by JoeFuture; 06-06-2008 at 06:14 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:53 AM
Enthusiast

From yesterday....coasting down hill. Interestingly enough, 150 is as high as the reading would go.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lawndart
From yesterday....coasting down hill. Interestingly enough, 150 is as high as the reading would go.
It actually will go a lot higher than that--you just need to kick it over to metric to get the results...

I was able to go a little further at 150mpg before it finally started to fall(credit to Hwy 24 on the downward stretch between Woodland park at Colorado Springs). Click here for details of that trip with a final MPG score for the round trip.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kristian
It actually will go a lot higher than that--you just need to kick it over to metric to get the results...

I was able to go a little further at 150mpg before it finally started to fall(credit to Hwy 24 on the downward stretch between Woodland park at Colorado Springs). Click here for details of that trip with a final MPG score for the round trip.
I did not know that. Thanks!