Gen I vs. Gen II batteries

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 03:10 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Gen I vs. Gen II batteries

Do these use the same cells, just more? If so, I was thinking about buying one of the 06+ batteries used and transferring over the cells when my batt. comes due.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Gen I vs. Gen II batteries

I was looking at the prices for individual cells and the entire pack's worth of cells costs around a thousand dollars.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

Where did you find the individual cells? Are you sure they're the same ones honda uses?

Old 06-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by privatejoker
Where did you find the individual cells? Are you sure they're the same ones honda uses?
I'm sure they are not, actually. They may be better. Just do a search for mimh batterys. Honda's pack is rated 5.5 ah (5,500 mah)for the new Civic. Some after market batts are rated much higher than that.

Do you know what size the batts are in the pack?

Old 06-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Somebody on this site took one apart and said they're approximately a "C" size, but with threaded terminals. You also need to remember, these batteries are wired in series. The total output, all 50 Amps or whatever is passed through every cell. Without knowing how much current the motor draws, it's difficult to know which ones have sufficient rating.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:03 AM
Enthusiast

I would be hard pressed to envision an aftermarket cell where the purpose of choosing it is because it is cheaper than the pack honda supplies, as having the same longevity. I purchased in bulk green NiMH AA cells and about 1/3 of them were crap within weeks and a year later I am left with maybe 15% of them still holding any appreciable charge.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Not sure what you mean by your batteries coming "due." Its not like there is an expiration date on them. There is not enough history yet to really determine when they might fail if that is what you mean. I think you would be far better off when/if the time comes to cross that bridge then. By then if the car is worth fixing try to find a salvaged battery pack from a junk yard. Heck by the time your 04 fails the price on battery packs may have dropped in half again. In the past I have never driven a car, that I had no problems with, in anticipation of a major component going out. Usually by the time something like the engine or transmission went out the car was way past due for retirement. So I for one wouldn't worry about the battery pack dying, unless it was, and enjoy the car.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:26 AM
IMAddicted to IMA

There are some differences in the design between the HCHI and HCHII

http://www.honda.co.jp/factbook/auto...200509/12.html

Insightcentral is a very informative website. Recently, someone took batteries from a Civic hybrid and put it in their Insight.

http://www.insightcentral.net/commun...php?f=4&t=7411

You can't just drop in batteries. There are some special tabs and sensors to be used.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm glad someone else has put in the cash and time to figure these out. Now, if someone can just swap the 06+ cells into and 05-.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:19 PM
IMAddicted to IMA

Try registering onto InsightCentral so you can ask whatever questions you have about the battery swap to the specific person who did it

You mght have a tough time registering though. It took me three months and two emails.