thoughts on intake air swirlers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 05:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default thoughts on intake air swirlers?

http://www.turbonator.com/ as advertised on this site.

at 1st glance it sounds good, especially since it isn't just allowing more air/larger particles into the engine. But...

Gas turbines use 'swirl cups' to ensure good fuel-air mixing, but they depend on homogeneous mixing for proper combustion. A fuel-injected ICE is engineered around a heterogeneous mixture and the inlet ports create turbulence in the cylinder anyway. There may be some benefit to vanes smoothing air delivery to the inlet, though.

On a tightly-controlled engine that depends so heavily on monitoring combustion conditions such as a Honda VTEC (even more controlled for our HAHs) is there any benefit at all? 'Faster burn' may not be of assistance to us if the computer can't recognize or adapt to it.

Has anyone installed one? Any change?

Old 06-29-2005, 08:43 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: thoughts on intake air swirlers?

There was a piece done on this a couple of years ago in Sports Compact Car, and Car and Driver. They were looking for horsepower, not mileage. Nothing happened for horsepower.

I had a system called "Direct Hits in my Subaru Outback Sport". Highway cruising mileage under 3500rpm was fantastic. I held the car at 3000rpm, and could get over 33mpg compared to the 27 in normally got at that rpm. The system was finicky, but it did work.

Old 06-29-2005, 11:18 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

I wish that the website was a bit more specific (with some examples) on how this thing is installed.

I'd almost volunteer to be a guinea pig and install it on my HCH and report on it if I could be sure I could remove it quickly and easily if I started getting 20 mpg or something silly like that.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:35 PM
Commuter of Many Miles

I've seen a report, in Consumer reports I believe, that took a look at a bunch of these "fuel saver" items. None of them worked.
hans

Old 06-29-2005, 01:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi All:

___Although the reports are dated, here is some factual test data for you to consider on any number of devices … If Honda had the chance to improve FE with a $0.95 part, do you think they would not have done so already?

Gas Saving and Emission Reduction Devices Evaluation

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 06-29-2005, 02:47 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I put this type of device in the same catagory as the "200mpg carburetor " that the government is supposedly hiding from the public.

No, I don't see how this gizmo could have a chance at improving the fuel/air mixture in the cylinder of any gasoline engine.

Regards,

Old 07-06-2005, 12:59 PM
Enthusiast

They are garbage. They obstruct air flow, swirl will not last until the air get into the cylinder and honda engines already employ techniques to ensure proper air fuel mix.