The new me....

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 05:47 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default The new me....

I would have NEVER thought I would be the me I have become - and in such a short time. Will it last? Too early to tell.

I bought my HAH last Saturday. My first tank of just under 500 miles averaged 37.1 mpg. I ordered it about a month ago, so I've been reading driving tips for all that time.

My history is not a frugal one. I drove 23 mph over the speed limit (e.g. 93 in a 70; 88 in a 65). Anything under 25 over, you can take defensive driving or get a deferred ejudication.

This is my fourth accord and I bought this one for the increased performance. If you haven't seen the Car & Driver reports, they are:
C/D TEST RESULTS
ACCELERATION Seconds
Zero to 30 mph: 2.5
40 mph: 3.5
50 mph: 5.0
60 mph: 6.7
70 mph: 8.7
80 mph: 11.5
90 mph: 14.4
100 mph: 17.6
110 mph: 22.6
120 mph: 29.0
130 mph: 37.2
Street start, 5-60 mph: 7.6
Top-gear acceleration, 30-50 mph: 4.0
50-70 mph: 5.1
Standing 1/4-mile: 15.2 sec @ 93 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 131 mph

Well that got my attention!

Now it's a competition... and I blame that stupid compare board. My car probably thinks it's beeing driven by a little old lady (& not the one from Pasadena).

This tank, I told myself I would just drive the thing like I test drove it - boy, that was a blast. ...I can't. I tried. Watch the gauge; anticipate the hill; yada yada.

It's killin' me.

Old 03-22-2005, 06:01 PM
Site Founder

Now it's a competition... and I blame that stupid compare board.
Haha. See what GreenHybrid does to people? Brainwash...

You should get a bumper sticker that says, "It wasn't me. The car made me do it!"

Old 03-22-2005, 06:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Tink:

___Welcome to the world of Hybrid ownership and becoming a much safer driver in the process!

___With that, I hope to see your numbers in the same range or higher as you have received to date far into the future. A few months and driving for high FE will become second nature. You won’t even have to think about it in fact. Just get used to the ICE’s various noise and vibrations at a given transition or situation and you will be making the adjustments on the fly without even watching the tach or the FCD. It will become easier, I guarantee it

___Good Luck and a warm welcome as well.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 03-22-2005, 10:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tink
I bought my HAH last Saturday. My first tank of just under 500 miles averaged 37.1 mpg. I ordered it about a month ago, so I've been reading driving tips for all that time.
Tink,
Man, what a great first tank!! I had too much fun with the 255 hp on the first gallons, and have gradually gotten the feel for using the hybrid features better, but I'm a good ways away from 37.
Congrats!

Lewis

Old 03-23-2005, 10:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks, Lewis! I looked at your records and I think we'll be close on average. It looks like with my hwy/city mix, I will be around 34. I'm getting about 30 around town and 40ish on the hwy. I will have some over 40 tanks when I'm on the hwy a lot, but with the range of this car, it's hard to have an all hwy trip.

We have a cabin in Ruidoso, NM. I'm looking forward to the first trip to Ruidoso to see what I can do.

On my way home, there's a 9 mile stretch with about a 500 foot overall drop - some up & down hilly areas. Last night, I reset my trip for just that leg and got 62.8 mpg. That's obviously not sustainable, but it was fun nonetheless.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands