Honda Accord Hybrid Ads

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 02:49 PM
Site Founder

Okay, okay. So, who else has noticed the campaign of Accord Hybrid ads popping up everywhere?

I've seen a couple TV commercials and now find banner ads in the Internet. Looks like they're stepping it up, eh?

Old 12-02-2004, 03:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yes, I have noticed both the "new" Civic Hybrid commercial on TV (very cool) and the Accord Hybrid TV ad, and just today I saw the banner ad for the Accord Hybrid in a couple of places on the web.

So they are definitely making an effort to get the info out to the masses....

Old 12-02-2004, 06:04 PM
Contributor ($)

I saw an Accord Hybrid commercial when I took my kids to The Polar Express movie a few weeks ago. It kind of caught mne off guard, but I was glad to see it.

Old 12-02-2004, 06:05 PM

Sure am glad to hear "the word" is getting out.
Personally I spend about an hour or two a week gazing into a TV :wacko:

Old 12-02-2004, 06:05 PM
Site Founder

Haha. We're all such nerds =) An advertisement catches us off guard!

Old 12-02-2004, 06:11 PM

Hi Jason:

___I have not seen the commercials myself as I do not watch that much TV but I have read of many that have seen the commercials and most view it (them?) positively.

___Enough of that … I am not a fan of the AH (Accord Hybrid) for any reason other then it has some new technology I really haven’t seen before in a high volume mass-produced automobile. That is the VCM (variable cylinder management), AM (active mounts), and ANC (active noise cancellation). VCM that works vs. GM’s mess from years gone by is what I should really say.

___Honda Accord sales are on pace to fall ~ 5 to 7% for the 04 MY vs. 03 and are suspected to fall another 5% in the 05 MY. I have the feeling Honda is going to use the AH to lure prospective purchasers in so that they (Honda) might sell std. Accord’s by the boatload instead. Makes sense imho. Most dealers are only going to be allotted 1 AH for the first few months so you can imagine the capital Honda is receiving with the AH as its flagship.

___My rants aginst the ULEV-II rated AH include just an increase of 5 city/3 highway over and above the available 4-cylinder PZEV based EX-L w/ NAVI according to the EPA. With the AH, you lose fold down seats, sunroof, and have to pay on the order of $8 - $10,000 more for it over an above the I4 based EX-L w/ NAVI that is far cleaner (PZEV format only) and may receive higher FE in the real world. See Honda Accord Hybrid for my real world test drive FE of an 04 – I4 Honda Accord EX-L w/ NAVI …

___The 05 AH w/ NAVI is suspected to cost in the neighborhood of $32K MSRP vs. a new 04 I4 - EX-L w/ NAVI which can be picked up for ~ $22,500 or the 05 for ~ $23,800. Is that 2 seconds to 60 worth that kind of premium given the loss of amenities and higher emissions?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 12-03-2004, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

I'm gonna hafta side with xcel and vote thumbs down to the AH. It isn't really a bad car but I'm not really getting the point. Seems like if you want mileage the Insight, Prius and Civic all get far better mileage. If you want power or sport something like a Vette will blow the AH out of the water while getting pretty good mileage as well.

I guess for some the AH has it's place but for me it is a boring compromise that is the best at nothing.

Old 12-03-2004, 04:05 PM

If I were in the car market I would consider the AH.
Why?
I've loved my Civic so much and it has "all but" replaced the Grand Caravan as far as a family vehicle.

It's wonderful for my commuter car but I do wish it were a little bigger for the family so I think the AH is a good candidate.

I paid a couple of $G more for my HCH over a similarly equpped HCH EX and didn't mind too much.
But if I'd had to pay a $10G premium over a similarly equipped AH then forget it.

I wonder if we could get 50MPG from a AH?
I'll have to test drive when it comes out for sure.

Old 12-03-2004, 06:56 PM

Hi Hot_Georgia_2004:

___It will be an $8 to $10K premium as you will be paying MSRP for the first year or so given the limited availability. You can pick up a std. Accord LX/EX/EX-L/EX-L w/ NAVI for less then invoice just about anywhere nowadays. Don’t forget about the loss of the sunroof and fold down rear seats as well!

___I probably will never be happy as I believe today’s Hybrid performance (not including the AH or upcoming TH/RXh) is lacking in some areas but with that, we all achieve outrageous FE. The AH has just so so FE but outrageous and un-needed performance. This drives me batty as the I4 w/ Auto is a nice performer with 160 HP/161 Ft.-Lb’s vs. the std. Accord V6’s 240 HP/212 Ft.-Lb’s and both at higher RPM’s. 0 - 60 in ~ 8.5 - 9.0 vs. ~ 7.0 - 7.5 for the std. V6. The AH might be worth 6.5 - 7.0 (I believe I saw a R&T review at 6.7).

___Anyway, IMA’s additional 100 Ft.-Lb’s helps acceleration no doubt but can you imagine the PZEV Accord’s I4 VCM’ed for 2-cylinder op’s with IMA instead? I am thinking a hypermilers real world of 60 mpg in a true mid-size semi lux automobile although EPA estimates would probably be in the 42 - 45 mpg hwy range? It would be a hell of a lot easier to balance an I4 running on 2 vs. 3 in the 6 using the wild AM and ANC. What about the Euro Accord’s iCDTi or the upcoming 06/07 Civic iCDTi VCM’ed? Oh my God!!!

___I am looking forward to an AH test drive someday as well but I bet my std. I4 test drive’s FE proves to be higher … Just a suspicion of course.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 12-03-2004, 07:07 PM
Site Founder

I disagree with you here. I think it is extremely important that some high-performance hybrids hit the market soon. The myth that hybrids are snails will kill the evolution quicker than you can even say the word. Even if every car isn't optimized for fuel economy, hybrids will never see the light of day unless there is consumer demand.

I can say from many personal experiences that while anyone who's been in my car thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, it is the butt of jokes when it comes to speed. Don't fool yourself into thinking that people don't care. They do.

Quick Reply: Honda Accord Hybrid Ads

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands