HAH 2005 resale values

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 06:39 PM
Enthusiast
Default HAH 2005 resale values

From my own curiosity I've poked around on the internet and noticed the resale and or trade in value of my 2005 HAH is greater than or equal to what I paid for mine. Anybody else noticed this or actually traded it in to see if this is accurate?

Old 02-26-2006, 07:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HAH 2005 resale values

It took until the very end of 2005 for KBB and Edmunds to even get a value. So few 05 HAHs even exist (less than 15000 were sold), and far fewer have been resold, that any value is bound to be wildly skewed.

But being that it is a higher-end car to begin with, and a hybrid to boot (marketing appeal mostly), there is a good chance that a retail resell price could be about equal to MSRP for a new one. It's not crazy to think you could sell a 12 or 18-month old HAH and just about fully pay off a new Camry hybrid with similar trim.

Old 02-27-2006, 07:50 AM

I've done some looking around in autotrader.com at used HAH prices. It seems just about every HAH that's at or above MSRP are at dealerships. I'm thinking (just my personal view) that since HAH's aren't too widely available, some dealers are marking them up because some people are willing to pay the higher prices to get a car today, rather than wait on one to be sent to the dealer. If I recall correctly, there was a dealer in Hawaii that had a used HAH for over $37K! Supply must be really low there.

Then again, some lots have them and can't seem to get rid of them! Some people on this forum have been reporting paying $25K for a non-navi '05 HAH.

If I really wanted to sell, I'd see what a few (or even several) dealers would give me for trade-in. Then, I'd drive around with a for sale sign that says HYBRID in my car for more than what I'd get for trade and see if there are any takers.

I like the MPG of the new TCH, but I don't like the looks. The last time the Camry had a body style I liked was late 90's early 2000's. I'm with gonavy on the Fusion. It looks promising. I'd still keep my HAH, but I'd try to convince the wife she needs a Fusion hybrid (FFH).

Old 02-27-2006, 11:14 AM
Rarely post anything

I got just about $25K for my HAH w/ Navi when I traded it - and I took it to 4 different places before I got that. Keep in mind that I had 24,800 on the odo when I took it in for the first quote, and 24,989mi when I signed the papers for the Civic. The price I got was largely because I was a repeat customer buying my second hybrid from the same dealer / salesperson - the other quotes I got ranged from $23,200 to $24,500. What killed me was the mileage.

The other thing was that there were so few of these in the retail / wholesale channel, that it was hard to determine value. The Black Book didn't list a value. KBB online listed $25,600 for a car w/ my mileage.

My salesperson did show me the Manheim wholesale values for the car - on a national level, there were only 7 vehicles on the report - the one closest to mine in mileage being valued (selling) at $24500. I don't think there was one that was significantly above $26K - and it had *very* low miles. For reference, Manheim is the most-used wholesale resource in the US (mostly dealer traffic). I do have that printout - if the members would like to see it, I'll scan / post after I get home.

I owed just under $25K on the car, so I wasn't upside down. That was my main goal on a year-old car, and when I saw Navi cars going at year end for $27K and change, I knew I was in for a fight.

BTW, the dealer still has my car on their lot - they're asking $26,500 for it, but would be glad to get an offer of what they paid for it, since they've had it over a month now. Just checked this morning - it's still there. A real creampuff, for anyone interested What I don't understand is why it's not listed on Honda's 'Certified Used' site - it's eligible.

Old 02-27-2006, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by bar10dah
I'm with gonavy on the Fusion. It looks promising. I'd still keep my HAH, but I'd try to convince the wife she needs a Fusion hybrid (FFH).

...actually, I think I'll hang for the Milan variant. I'm starting to like Mercury's styling more, plus a little more trim. I'm gettin' old.

Old 02-27-2006, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by bar10dah
I'm with gonavy on the Fusion. It looks promising. I'd still keep my HAH, but I'd try to convince the wife she needs a Fusion hybrid (FFH).

...actually, I think I'll hang for the Milan variant. I'm starting to like Mercury's styling more, plus a little more trim. I'm gettin' old.

I fully expect to be able to pay off the loan remainder with my resale come next summer/fall when the Fusion/Milan come out. Not a bad deal. I like the idea of the "For Sale- HYBRID" sign. Catches the eye.

Old 02-27-2006, 12:30 PM

I like the looks of the Milan too. But, I'd stick with the Fusion because of the cost difference.

I saw a Milan on the road the other day. They look pretty nice!

Old 02-27-2006, 12:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

I recently traded my '04 HCH for an '06 HCH and I was pleasantly surprised on the trade-in amount I got for it. The market for Hybrids seems strong so hopefully they will continue to hold some sort of value.