Anyone buy the spare tire?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 12:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone buy the spare tire?

For those of you that's ordered the tire and rim from the part numbers listed in this thread, they both fit together without any problems?

When I dropped my parts off at my mechanic today, the contact patch of the tire is only about 2/3 the width of the rim! They don't seem to be a good match.

UPDATE: The mechanic wasn't able to mount the tire. He said it was too small for the rim. Since all the numbers are correct, I don't know if it's a problem with the parts or the mechanic was inept.

The rim is stamped: 15X4T TOPY 7 06 05 D2.3 SDA
The replacement door decal says the tire should be: T135/90D15 100M
The tire says: Goodyear T135/90D15 100M

Why would the rim be so much wider than the tire?

Last edited by bar10dah; 01-12-2006 at 05:21 PM. Reason: adding more info
Old 01-12-2006, 07:11 PM
Enthusiast

I just had it all mounted by the Honda dealer before I took delivery.

Old 01-13-2006, 05:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Wow...

I was driving down US-60 and out of the corner of my eye, I spot a Goodyear tire center. Seeing that the spare I bought is a Goodyear, I made a u-turn and headed over.

The manager said he couldn't do it and told me to take it to the dealership. After I tell him I did and they said they couldn't do it either, he says he'll go talk to his mechanic. He said they'd give it a shot, but wasn't guaranteeing they'd be able to do it. Then he took the tire and rim and disappeared into the garage.

A few minutes later, the mechanic appeared through the door with the tire mounted on the rim. Awesome! The mechanic said it was an easy job, didn't require any special tools, anybody that mounts tires could do it. When I tried to pay, he said there was no charge.

Well, I couldn't let this good deed go unrewarded! I returned half an hour later with a 12 pack of Bud Light (I asked the manager what kind of beer the mechanic liked). The look on the mechanic's face when I gave him the beer...

On a side note, I didn't think that tire was wide enough. I've never seen a compact spare off a rim. Apparently, they expand pretty well! The tire now looks like an overinflated ballon, protruding out wider than the rim. The contact patch which was nearly flat is now rounded out like a motorcycle tire.

Overall cost, including the beer, just slightly less than $200.