Anyone buy the spare tire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 09:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi GreenAndBlue:

___I missed your question, sorry. I do not know what kind of oil Rosen uses given when there price came back, I just purchased my own. With that, the Ranger is going to 15,000 between changes given the highway miles it has seen this winter. The Insight receives 7,500 no matter just because it is a 2.5 Quart cap sump. The MDX and Corolla are city commuter’s so they receive a change at the 7,500 mile mark as well.

___Sorry to all for all the OT diatribe

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 03-08-2005, 09:37 PM
Rarely post anything

Wayne - no worries on my question - you kind of answered it indirectly, anyway. And IIRC, the only other people who make 0W-20 besides Mobil is...Amsoil. Plus, the kid never saw the label on the bottles, since they were in my passenger floor - he could only see the silver caps on the bottles from outside the car...

Wish I'd known you were off today as well - because I was too (since Rosen's 'loaners' seem to be limited to "repair work only, and then if only it's over $250" (stupidest thing I ever heard - how do you know when you bring it in if it's going to need > $250 worth of work ?). Now I know why I liked to go to Pauly for my service with the '01 coupe ) Oh, well...I had carryover vacation time that I have to get rid of by 3/31, so not a big deal on that.

I pretty much go w/ 7500 mi intervals because that's what Honda specified for the '01 (and the AH) - and that's why I decided to go w/ synoil as well. I figured if they stated 7500mi intervals, that I wasn't going to risk it by using dino oil; plus, if anything ever happened with the engine, I could say that I maintained it to their specs. It also happens to be a nice interval for tire rotation - and like I stated earlier in the thread, I had > 75K on the OEM tires (and with that, I've put us back on-topic, so no apologies needed or given)

Am driving up to Madison for work the next few days, but I am going to send you an email to your ISP addy w/ my contact info. I'd like to see what you can do with the car both 'stock' and after a bit of setup (no, I'm not putting 50# of air in the tires, so don't even suggest it...ROFL)

Talk to you soon,

Old 03-24-2005, 02:15 PM
rlm
Enthusiast
Cool Temporary wheel Kit

Just an FYI

I just got off the phone with my parts department having ordered the spare tire kit...the actual TIRE is extra!!! It will cost me and additional $80!

Just thought y'all might be interested.

Old 03-24-2005, 03:10 PM
Rarely post anything
Default Why - WHY - does Honda do this ?

I just now got back from the selling dealership with my 'wheel kit, temper'(ed).

No call from the parts dept, who told me they would when I ordered on the 8th. So I called. "Yep, it's here - do you want me to transfer you to service ?" Strike one for not calling when you said you would, and two for trying to upsell labor indiscriminately.

I get to the parts counter, and the guy fetches my order. I'm expecting the tire to come separately, because they would get killed on shipping charges if the tire were mounted / inflated on the rim (@ 60psi). So I'm surprised to see one (larger) box.

"You sure there's a tire in there ?", I ask, as I take possession of the box and notice it's lighter-than-expected weight.
"Yep", the guy says... "it's just a little donut, so it doesn't take up much room."
I thank him, put the box in my car and drive home...with a feeling of dread that I'm not going to find a tire in that box.

Get home, open up the box, and.... no rubber. EVERY thing else, including a valvestem, and labels for the spare rim, and replacement labels for the door jamb - but NO tire. And now I see the previous poster has sourced it at.... $80 ! Strike three. But this time, *I'm* out, because parts orders are non-returnable, and I had paid already. Besides, I wanted this setup, and as I have everything else, "in for a penny..."

But it's *really* aggrevating, especially when I ask before ordering, and after receiving, if the kit contains a tire, and *seeing* a tire in the exploded parts diagram. Ridiculous...

I'm still ahead vs the cost of a tire replacement, but not by much. Actually, I think I need two flats to break even now. And since I had zero with the MXV4s on my '01 coupe, I'm guessing I may have similar here. But it's insurance. And at this stage of my life, every aspect of my life has 'insurance' attached...

Anyway - for those thinking of this 'upgrade', you're probably looking at about $200.00 US, by the time you get the kit & tire. Or... what I estimated originally.
What do I say now - "I told me so " ? LOL

Old 04-17-2005, 06:13 PM
cmw
Enthusiast
Default Re: Spare tire kit: $120.00

Originally Posted by GreenAndBlue
Part # is 06421-SDR-A00 (Wheel kit) as listed on the invoice.
GreenAndBlue,
Is this a kit made specifically for the hybrid or is it just a replacement wheel and hardware kit? If it's a replacement, where do you store the jack in the hybrid? My '04 coupe has storage on the right side of the trunk, but without the storage box in the hybrid, what do you do with your jack?

If the kit doesn't include a storage case of some sort, I think I'll just go the junkyard route for the spare wheel (with tire ).

Old 04-17-2005, 06:50 PM
Rarely post anything
Default Re: Anyone buy the spare tire?

Well, 'yes' *and* 'no'...LOL...

It's a kit just for the hybrid, but it just consists of a 'standard' mini-spare sized wheel, replacement 'tool tray' (case), and a spacer bolt (along with the other incidentals I mentioned earlier). You take the jack (& everything else) out of the existing tool tray in the HAH, and put it in the replacement tray. You leave out the air compressor and the IDS bottle, but everything else makes the trip to the new tray.

I had an '01 coupe where the jack stowed in the side storage compartment as well; not sure if the other trim levels on the 7th-gen Accord stow it in the side, or in the wheel compartment, like the Hybrid.

For the money / trouble (I was told by 3 tire shops that they could not order the rubber, for example), I will probably go the junkyard route. Once I find one, I'll post this kit up for sale on E-bay or something (retail $120, I paid $80)

Old 04-18-2005, 04:55 AM
rlm
Enthusiast

Mark, My parts department called their tire supplier and had no problem! It took him 2 minutes including calling me back!

cmw, If you look in the "Canadian vehicles" section under "spare tire" in your owner's manual, there is a picture of the molded tray which holds the jack, lug wrench and jack handle along with a miscellaneous spot where I store my WD40. This whole tray assembly nestles over top of the spare and the trunk cover folds flush over it.

Old 04-19-2005, 02:50 PM
cmw
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GreenAndBlue
Well, 'yes' *and* 'no'...LOL...

It's a kit just for the hybrid, but it just consists of a 'standard' mini-spare sized wheel, replacement 'tool tray' (case), and a spacer bolt (along with the other incidentals I mentioned earlier). You take the jack (& everything else) out of the existing tool tray in the HAH, and put it in the replacement tray. You leave out the air compressor and the IDS bottle, but everything else makes the trip to the new tray.

I had an '01 coupe where the jack stowed in the side storage compartment as well; not sure if the other trim levels on the 7th-gen Accord stow it in the side, or in the wheel compartment, like the Hybrid.

For the money / trouble (I was told by 3 tire shops that they could not order the rubber, for example), I will probably go the junkyard route. Once I find one, I'll post this kit up for sale on E-bay or something (retail $120, I paid $80)

Check this out

Old 04-20-2005, 05:47 PM
cmw
Enthusiast

I placed the order today...Wheel kit & storage box $96...tire $52, for a total of $148. That's with my 20% "frequent Honda buyer" discount.

Old 05-16-2005, 07:41 PM
Enthusiast

Hi All,

>> Wheel kit, Part # 06421-SDR-A00 List Price $ 123.60
>> Spare Tire, Part # 42751-GYR-035 List Price $ 69.48

I too am planning on going this route. Several people here say they have ordered the above Honda parts...

1) Did they arrive as expected and fit etc OK ?
2) Did the rubber come already mounted on the rim ?

TIA

Quick Reply: Anyone buy the spare tire?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands