HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Have you guys ever thought of this ????

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 02:28 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Have you guys ever thought of this ????

I've seen other HCH II's, and when looking at them, one thing ALWAYS stands out. I can SEE their speedometer in the next lane. So I'm curious. Lets say, and I know this is tough for most of you to comprehend since the idea of going the speed limit frightens most people, but for those of us that do, have you ever had for example, the highway patrol or a police officer stop you and say, "well, I saw on your own speedometer that you were going x miles per hour" ???? I'm curious, makes us a little more susceptible to getting a speeding ticket no ????

Old 11-13-2006, 03:51 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Have you guys ever thought of this ????

It wouldn't hold up in court. All you would have to do is show up and contest the ticket, saying, he must have misread the speedometer, as I was going xx miles per hour, not xx like he said. Case dismissed. The police officer would have no proof, and such couldn't warrant the ticket.

Old 11-13-2006, 06:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yea, I looked over at a new Civic this weekend at night and saw that I could see the guy's speed and thought that I'm not so sure that broadcasting it is such a good thing.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

Wow, weird topic.

Just turn down the brightness of your display. You can adjust it in your drive way at night and step out of the vehicle to see if it is dimmer to anyone who might be trying to see it from outside the vehicle.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

switch it to kilometers and really freak em out!

Old 11-13-2006, 10:04 AM

This occurred to me the first time I ever passed a civic of the current generation on the highway. As far as the police reading your speedometer is concerned, it's a non-issue. All speed measurement devices for use in traffic enforcement must be calibrated and certified per the IACP, and your speedometer is neither. As far as an officer or judge is concerned, it could be way off. Besides, if one is so oblivious as to be speeding with a police officer in the next lane, then all he has to do is look at his own speedometer. That is a calibrated and certified instrument and the ticket will hold up in court.

As a former speeder, just drive the limit and don't worry about it. Time in the car is much less stressful once a speeding habit has been broken.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

Too bad that display doesn't reflect the mpg being used for the world to see!

Old 11-13-2006, 10:56 AM

LOL, the kilometer bit is GREAT !!!! Would help me brush up on my math skilks, having to constantly convert whenever I look, ha ha. This should be fun.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think the much greater concern is that now your wife in the passenger seat can more easily see how fast you are going!!

Old 11-13-2006, 12:48 PM

If you're really paranoid about it, you can rig up a piece of cardboard or some other opaque barrier to side viewers (but which wouldn't obstruct your view) and/or tint the windows sufficiently dark to make the speedometer impossible (or at least very tough) to read.

Originally Posted by brick
As far as the police reading your speedometer is concerned, it's a non-issue. All speed measurement devices for use in traffic enforcement must be calibrated and certified per the IACP, and your speedometer is neither. As far as an officer or judge is concerned, it could be way off.

You bring up an interesting point. Has anyone here attempted to check his speedometer and/or odometer for accuracy? Best way IMHO would be to find a flat stretch of highway with mileposts and set the cruise control to 60 mph. Assuming the mileposts are correct, the journey between any two should take exactly 1 minute. As for the odometer, set one of the trip meters to zero at a milepost and see what it reads at the next one.

Quick Reply: Have you guys ever thought of this ????

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands