HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

DIY: GENTEX MIRROR for Homelink

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 06:38 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default DIY: GENTEX MIRROR for Homelink

Greetings all

With the technique laid out at: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f51/another-diy-honda-homelink-16391/
a.k.a :
Another DIY: Honda Homelink ...

...I'm looking at a different way to accomplish the same thing (have a built in Homelink unit in my '07 HCH).

I had an optional Gentex rear-view mirror installed in the car when I bought it. It is an auto-dimming and compass mirror.

I'm looking at swapping it out with a unit that also has built in Homelink buttons.

The following describes how to remove/replace the factory mirror:
DIY: GENTEX MIRROR for Homelink-rearview_mirror_removal.jpg

The merchants that sell the Gentex mirrors all describe a wedge that one needs to install one of their mirrors in the Civic.

Has anyone done this mod? If so, how does the Gentex mirror attach to the HCH windscreen?

Thanks

Mike

Old 12-28-2009, 06:48 AM
2nd Hybrid Owner
Default Re: DIY: GENTEX MIRROR for Homelink

I added a homelink mirror to my HCHII civic - you need this kit to do it. Do not get the cheaper imitation mounts they fall off the windshield.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Gente...Q5fAccessories

If you do not have the autodim mirror you will need the autodim wiring harness from a honda dealer. it plugs into the fuse box and is rather easy to do. I had to splice the autodim mirror wiring into the Gentex pigtail to get power to the mirror as the plugins are not the same size.

I just removed the mounts for the sun visors to get to the wiring in place.

HandA honda parts has the instructions for installing the wiring if you need it. You have to whack the cover pretty good to get the special attachment to loosen .( hard enough to move a 10 penny nail a 1/2 inch in wood)

Old 12-29-2009, 06:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip and the link.

My situation is that I already have an auto-dimming mirror in place and wish to upgrade to a unit with homelink built in.

My hold-up is how do I remove the existing auto-dimming mirror (i.e. what is the magic trick?). I just cannot get my unit to loosen without risk of damage, so I need the trick to somehow "unlock" my mirror from the windscreen.

These are close-up shots of what I believe is a cam-lock of the mirror I now have. The 2 wires you also see in the photos: Wire 1 is for the "external to this mirror" compass sensor. Wire 2 is what feeds power to my GPS....
Attachment 1361

DIY: GENTEX MIRROR for Homelink-img_9707.jpg

DIY: GENTEX MIRROR for Homelink-img_9708.jpg

DIY: GENTEX MIRROR for Homelink-img_9709.jpg

DIY: GENTEX MIRROR for Homelink-img_9710.jpg

Thanks

Mike

Old 12-29-2009, 06:48 AM
2nd Hybrid Owner

page 3 of these instructions show how to turn the mirror to get it off you will need to remove the black wire cover from the roof to the mirror first - it pushes up from the window mount.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/civ...bridmirror.pdf.

H and A is a sponsor of the Honda Ridgeline owner Club, which I belong to.

Last edited by larryr; 12-29-2009 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

larryr:

Awesome info.

Sorry to sound like a 2x4 piece of wood here, but......

Did you do a close-up check of the 4 photos of the mounting used for my auto-dimming mirror? Does this mean all I have to do is turn my auto-dimming mirror 90 degrees and it will come out?

I have tried to turn this thing and it just does not want to move. Any chance my auto-dimming mirror was somehow "slid" on from the bottom?

Again, I apologize for being obtuse, but I don't want to break anything

Thanks

Mike

Old 12-29-2009, 07:54 AM
2nd Hybrid Owner

Just unplug the mirror wires and remove the black cover and then turn the mirror 90 degrees like the pictures in the instructions show and it will move and not break the mount. The wires have to be moved out of the way first on the autodim mirror. The wire cover usually can be just pulled up by hand.

The Wemberly mount is great as it can hold the compass module if you get a homelink with compass mirror.

I still cannot believe that Honda does not have factory homelink on any Civic.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, I just went and did a "Give'er". We lived.

OK, here are the after pictures:

DIY: GENTEX MIRROR for Homelink-img_9711.jpg

DIY: GENTEX MIRROR for Homelink-img_9712.jpg

DIY: GENTEX MIRROR for Homelink-img_9713.jpg

Now my next question: the chap selling the mirror I'm looking at says I need a $10 wedge. Since I already have one of these Gentex mirrors, can I not simply "plug and play" the new one (mount wise)? Or do I need the widget you refer to here (from E-Bay)?
http://jbrlsr.com/?aid=5336118844&bi...ly%26t%3D23538

Thanks

Mike

Old 12-29-2009, 01:19 PM
2nd Hybrid Owner

Honda mirrors use a unique mount and you need an adapter to fit the real gentex or donnelley mirror to the honda windshield - I had to get an adapter from wembleysells to attach my homelink mirror to the civic.

Theirs will allow the black wire cover to work with the new mirror.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Honda mirrors use a unique mount and you need an adapter to fit the real gentex or donnelley mirror to the honda windshield - I had to get an adapter from wembleysells to attach my homelink mirror to the civic.

OK (?). So the mount currently in my car that is holding my current Gentex mirror will not work with another Gentex mirror?

Again, 1000 apologies for sounding slow today.....

Old 12-29-2009, 01:53 PM
2nd Hybrid Owner

Honda does not use the standard mirror mount that all homelink mirrors use - they use the honda mount - you can try to remove the mount from your current mirror and put it on you new mirror but it will droop down as once you remove it it becomes loose and there is no tightening it.

All homelink mirror use the Ford/GM/Nissan windshield mount which the Wemberlysales converter allows you to connect a Ford/GM/Nissan mirror base to a honda windshield. - honda turns 90 degrees to mount - the new mirror uses an allen screw to attach - not the same.

Quick Reply: DIY: GENTEX MIRROR for Homelink

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands