HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Display Error

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Part Time Hybrids
Default Display Error

I reported a problem a while back about my mpg display acting odd, showing drops to one blip while in various speeds.

Having the same trouble again now. It always occurs not at freeway speeds of 50+ miles per hour. Happens with greater frequency than before now as well. Whenever I'm in an extended glide, coming down a slight decent, or on a flat surface after a downhill. All I do is feather the gas, keeping a good speed with not valves still closed (no ICE? if I'm using the right term). My mpg display slowly drops down to one blip, and stays there until I either release any pedal pressure and go into regen, or when I press harder and feel the lurch of the ICE or engine using gas.

My first check with Honda, they replaced the tachometer which they said was causing incorrect display functions and errors. Still occurred after. I checked with them again this week. They come back to say there are no electrical errors or mechanical with my car.

I have half a mind to tell one of them to come with me and watch a drive down a bit of I-84

Some pics to show what I mean. (sorry about the poor quality, my 4.1 megapxls doesn't compete with Iphones I guess!) Courtesy of my youngest.
Name:  samba2.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  29.2 KB
Name:  samba1.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  35.5 KB

Not sure what’s going on. Honda is wrong and has no clue how to check a hybrid system for errors? Something mechanical? Or am I really just getting really crappy mileage while gliding?

Last edited by Sungod18; 09-13-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default It's the Samba!

If you notice, you're trip FCD will continue to climb while you are coasting with the iFCD at 1mpg. This is frequently described as the HCHII Samba around here, although I have no idea who originally coined the term. You will notice that it Samba dances it's way from stated 100mpg down to 1mpg, and when you add gas, it dances it's way back up right?

I get it a LOT. Probably 3-4 times over 10 miles lately. It happens more frequenlty with a cold engine and at cruise speed.

If you search, you will find lots of posts referencing this as a "recalibration," although I have no idea if that is something real, or imagined by some Service Advisor. I've read someone who has an 06 that got a firmware upgrade to the 07 version (IIRC) and his dancing stopped, but I haven't pursued anything yet.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Default Re: Display Error

Links did not work. May I suggest getting someone besides myspace to host them? (sorry i just really hate myspace and it never seems to work)

Old 09-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Part Time Hybrids

Originally Posted by giantquesadilla
Links did not work. May I suggest getting someone besides myspace to host them? (sorry i just really hate myspace and it never seems to work)
hmm If its just a battery recalibration I wonder why it never goes away. Its just annoying more than anything. It's not something they can fix at all?

Added the pics!

Last edited by Sungod18; 09-13-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:44 AM

Has your overall FE dropped?

Old 09-14-2007, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Sungod18
hmm If its just a battery recalibration I wonder why it never goes away. Its just annoying more than anything. It's not something they can fix at all?

Added the pics!
I forget who it was that got it fixed, but if you search for "Samba" or "recalibration," you will probably find the thread.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:41 PM
Part Time Hybrids

Checked the threads related to the mentioned terms. They all share the problem where people report the battery charges dropping and engine starts while in AS.

My only problem I see is the display showing zero mpg whenever I'm in a glide. I'm seeing it at slower speeds while coasting as well. Anytime I'm in a glide with no regen the numbers drop.

I don't think its affecting the FE at all. At least I hope not! I would think its impossible to achieve that low a mpg while just coasting along with low foot pressure on the pedal.

Just irritating, I being unable to judge how much pressure to use I often overstep and break a glide early. Still learning but I'm on my best tank at 540 miles with one fuel blip left. Gonna try and stretch it the 35 mile commute monday morning

Old 09-14-2007, 07:08 PM
AJR
Active Enthusiast

If you have 540 miles with one blip left on the fuel meter, you should be able to make it to 625-650 miles! Remember you have at least a 1.5 gal reserve after the last blip goes out!

Old 09-14-2007, 07:15 PM

I also started a thread about this some time ago.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-display-8896/

I am quite confident it is not a calibration. I believe it is a non-linearity in the gauge. For example, I believe that the display shows some value less than 100 mpg when the iFE is actually 200 mpg. I haven't had the chance to "prove" this yet, but I want to get the ScanGuage II in the HCH II one of these days so I can test out this theory.

Anyway, with all that said, I don't think there is anything to worry about. I experience it often in reproducible conditions.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sungod18
Having the same trouble again now. It always occurs not at freeway speeds of 50+ miles per hour. Happens with greater frequency than before now as well. Whenever I'm in an extended glide, coming down a slight decent, or on a flat surface after a downhill. All I do is feather the gas, keeping a good speed with not valves still closed (no ICE? if I'm using the right term).
Just because the mpg display is maxed out, it does not mean that the ICE is off. I'm pretty sure your ICE is still on in these situations where the iMPG starts dropping all the way down to 0.

Quick Reply: Display Error

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands