HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Accessary Power Outlet Usage

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 07:08 AM
Enthusiast
Default Accessary Power Outlet Usage

Hi All,

I've used the accessary power outlet in other cars I've driven to inflate
tires on yard equipment, etc. Is this OK to do with the HCH-II? Should the engine be running?

Thanks in advance.

Galileo

Old 05-22-2007, 08:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Accessary Power Outlet Usage

Try it, the most you can do is blow a fuse . Check the manual, but I think you are OK.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

The outlet doesn't draw down the hybrid battery if that's what your worried about. It draws from the standard car battery - the same one that starts the car when you turn the key. I think the same rules apply as with any car as far as plug-in accessories go.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but the hybrid battery only powers the assist motor and if needed the smaller of the two AC compressors. Everything else comes from the normal car battery.

-dan

Old 05-23-2007, 03:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dantheman
The outlet doesn't draw down the hybrid battery if that's what your worried about. It draws from the standard car battery - the same one that starts the car when you turn the key. I think the same rules apply as with any car as far as plug-in accessories go.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but the hybrid battery only powers the assist motor and if needed the smaller of the two AC compressors. Everything else comes from the normal car battery.

-dan
The assist motor starts the car under normal conditions. That's why you don't hear the starter

Old 05-23-2007, 07:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheBundo
The assist motor starts the car under normal conditions. That's why you don't hear the starter
That's only partly true. When you turn the key, you hear the conventional starter. That too is a normal condition along with starting the engine after an auto-stop. Each uses a different battery.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:54 AM

I have never heard the engine starter on mt HCH 06.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:26 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Originally Posted by dantheman
That's only partly true. When you turn the key, you hear the conventional starter. That too is a normal condition along with starting the engine after an auto-stop.
No... in the year and change since I got my HCH2, the conventional starter has triggered only once... on a 5F morning with the battery pack showing only 2 bars. It is a *VERY* different sound than the usual IMA starter.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harold
I have never heard the engine starter on mt HCH 06.
I stand corrected. The starter motor is there but rarely, if ever, used. I guess I just imagined I was hearing it. I thought I had read it was used on initial starts only.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:53 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by Galileo
I've used the accessary power outlet in other cars I've driven to inflate
tires on yard equipment, etc. Is this OK to do with the HCH-II? Should the engine be running?

That is a good question.

There have been those of us who depleted the 12V battery with little effort by just using a tire pump. It does not take much to get to that state particularly if we already run a lot of gadgets inside the car. The tell-tale sign of a freshly depleted battery is the frequent rebooting of the car's dash (blinking at 1Hz) as we are inflating the last tire. At that point we cannot start the car at all unless we recharge the 12V battery with an external charger.

I would say that for the occasional short use, it would be OK. However, that 12V battery is simply unable to power certains high power appliances for extended periods of time unless the gas engine is running. I would sugest we look at the charge eye in the battery before doing any extended use of the accessories power. If it is Blue then go right ahead. If it is clear then back off and don't use it unless you plan on having the gas engine running while you do it.

Also, the lower 12V charge will impact the fuel economy anyway because the charge actually comes from the IMA. Just plug a scangauge and observe how long and frequently the IMA is charging the 12V system to get an idea of impact.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 05-23-2007, 02:14 PM

There is no power too these outlets unless the ignition is on, correct? I think they should only be used when the engine is running. It is a very small battery. I'm not sure what the amp. hrs. are.

Quick Reply: Accessary Power Outlet Usage

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands