HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

2007 HCH No-Start Condition

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2023, 09:43 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2007 HCH No-Start Condition

Hello I've purchased an 07 Civic Hybrid 1.3 which does not start. The 12V battery was dead so I replaced it first. The car won't start with the new battery or the old battery with jumper cables hooked up. The green key light flashes and I hear a click when I turn the key. The click seems to be from a relay under the hood. But no cranking at all. Battery charge light is on, IMA light is on, and check engine light is on.

I scanned the OBD codes and got random stuff about low voltage to hydraulic booster, electric power steering, SRS, and ABS. Could this condition be caused by a bad DC convertor and/bad hybrid battery? I think the car sat for several months without a charge. I'm OK with buying a grid charger, replacing the convertor and/or hybrid battery, but I'm hoping to do some diagnosis to avoid throwing parts at the problem. Thanks for any help!

Old 10-12-2023, 06:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 HCH No-Start Condition

Recommend you ensure the 12V is actually fully charged as new batteries may sit on the shelf for an extended period and lose charge.

Clear all codes.

Hold the key in the start position for up to 15 seconds. The HCH2 has a backup starter that can crank the engine, but it may take several seconds before it does so.

Old 10-12-2023, 08:09 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Hold the key in the start position for up to 15 seconds. The HCH2 has a backup starter that can crank the engine.
Did not know this, thanks!

Old 10-23-2023, 08:10 AM
Enthusiast

In addition, make sure your battery cable connectors to the battery are clean.

You can clean them with a wire brush tool or a cleaning tool, which go inside the connector to scrape out any corrosion.

Corrosion of lead is non-conductive.

You can test this to see if you have an issue if you have a DC voltmeter that is fairly good (meaning not one of the cheap ones from China) Measure between the post and the connector on the post. Any voltage above a few tenths indicates your connectors are corroded.

You may ask "Why do I get the lights then?" The voltage pass can be enough to get the lights, but not enough to start the car.