HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

a/c heater blower circuit

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 06:55 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default a/c heater blower circuit

Hi everyone, I know it's been a long while since I posted, but between my county's revolution, subsequently getting to go home after living in exile 32+ years, taking care of my ailing father and then laying him to rest, taking care of my mother, selling her home then moving her in with me, I haven't been online much. Oh, and somewhere in there I started a new job, bought and am rebuilding a 13b for the race car, and built a home theater.

But now I'm in need of some help so I'm hoping you can assist. About 2 weeks ago my a/c-heater blower in my '04 stopped working. It doesn't come on at any speed (auto through high), but if I turn it on with the a/c switch pressed, I can hear for a couple of seconds the radiator/condenser fans kick on, then turn off. The HVAC console lights work normally as they should, so I think power is getting to the switch as it should. Since the blower doesn't come on on the high setting either, I'm inclined to think it's the fan itself since the circuit bypasses the resistor on high. But before I throw parts on the car, I'd like to properly check the blower circuit.

2 questions:
1- Does anyone here know where I can get a diagram of the blower circuit?
2- Looking on ebay, sellers are listing blowers for the regular Civic and say it doesn't fit the HCH. I find it hard to believe Honda would have made a specific blower just for the highbread.

After 8+ years and 170k miles, this is the first actual repair the car needs, so i think I'm ahead of the curve (/knock on wood)

Thanks.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Think green.
Default Re: a/c heater blower circuit

Hello Fadi,
Sorry to hear of all the difficult things you've been going through.

You may be able to find a helpful diagram if you go to one of the online Honda parts websites and drill down to the component you are interested in.
Try Majestic Honda parts or Bernardi auto parts, put in the specifics for your car, and search for heater blower, heater unit, or blower.
An example of a picture from the Majestic website is this; not sure if it's exactly what you might be looking for; the names of all the parts are listed on the websites:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...5b01_b1720.png

or:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...5b01_b1710.png

Last edited by Gairwyn; 09-06-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MiaTurbo
But before I throw parts on the car, I'd like to properly check the blower circuit.
Check the fuse for the blower circuit yet?

Old 09-26-2012, 04:52 AM
Enthusiast

ey all. I'd like to start out by saying that I am a senior at Temple University. This semester I'm conducting research on the Volt for a marketing class.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pasadena_commut
Check the fuse for the blower circuit yet?
Yes, fuses are all good.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

I had a few minutes this morning and took a quick look. I put a voltmeter on the plug going to the blower and it had 12v to it with the ignition on, even with the HVAC switch to the off position and all speed settings. So something is weird, the voltage should vary depending on the fan switch, and the very least with battery voltage should blow 'high'.. I think I'm going to have to find a service manual...

Last edited by MiaTurbo; 09-29-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

I decided to take a shot and went ahead and ordered the blower and resister from Rockauto. Both for 83$ shipped, so it was a lot less than an hour fee of diagnosis at a shop Replaced the blower first because it seemed easier, no go. Replaced the resistor and that was it. So now I have a good blower to sell on ebay, and the going price is about $50 so that will be a pretty gosh-darn cheap fix.

FYI, I order a lot from Rockauto, they are great. Prices are good, decent shipping times too. They have multiple shipping points, so sometimes it's better to find a part from a different brand at the same location if you are buying multiple parts because shipping will end up being cheaper if it comes from the same location I have a discount code if anyone want to use it, good for 5% off. No affiliation other than being a satisfied customer

Using Your Discount Code
Enter the code above in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart. If you are using our traditional HTML catalog, please click the "Apply" button to the right of the field. Your discount will automatically appear, subtracted from your order total. Orders using discount codes must be placed online. Phone orders are not eligible for discounts.

Please note: We sometimes get calls from people who put the word "discount" in front of their code and do not get the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. Code must be entered before order is submitted to receive discount.

The discount takes 5% off our already-low prices. There's no limit on order size or the number of orders. Use the code for your next order, and share the code with friends, neighbors, relatives, the guy at the corner garage--anyone you know who works on cars or trucks.

This discount code expires on December 23, 2012; so don't wait!