Rear Heater blowing cold air!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 01:30 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Rear Heater blowing cold air!

I am having issues with my Rear heater blower.
I am unable to have it switch to heat whether using the front control panel, or rear control.
I just keep on getting cold air coming out of the rear vents, while hot air coming out from the front dashboard vents.

anybody had this issue?
I thought ot share it with your before going to the dealer.

Looking forward for your feedback
Regards
Guss

Old 12-21-2010, 08:35 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default is the temp control

for the rear set to the proper temperature? I keep my rear set to about 72 all the time

Last edited by jet1; 12-21-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:52 PM
Default Re: Rear Heater blowing cold air!

If you turn the rear (aux) control off and then on again, it overrides the rear controls and the rear temp is set to the driver's temp until the rear temp control is changed again (fan also works the same way).
So, sounds like your heater broke. The rear heater is a heater-core, that uses engine coolant to heat the vehicle. So, if you are getting heat in front, and not in back, hot water is not circulating in the heater core or air is not circulating through the heater core. Probably the latter, as the vehicle is too new to have a clogged core. The air temperature actuator is probably stuck or the wires disconnected to not tell it to move into the "heat" position.
You will find all of these mechanical and electrical bits under the passenger rear-most window, over the rear wheel-well, behind the discharge vent for the rear a/c. Remove the plastic trim and you will find the assembly with the heater core and blower motor. This has the air temp actuator in it, along with other wiggly bits. Check the connections and also have someone switch between a/c and heat while you listen for the door to move positions. Another check for the heater core, is with the car fully warmed up and the heat on max temp, blower to low speed, is to feel both hoses going to the heater core. They should be the same temp, or very close. If one is hot and one is warm or cold, the heater core is clogged.
Good luck...

Last edited by fjungman; 12-21-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:32 PM

Thanks you Jet and Fj,
Yes I testesdit with Auto settings and manual and even with temp to the max at 31C in both front and read control, and still no hot air in the rear.
Somthign must be clogging the rear heater core for sure.
Still under waranty, I will take it to the dealer ASAP.

Thanks all for your feedback
Regards

Old 01-05-2011, 03:45 AM

I took it to the dealer, and they tested all the heating system using Tech2.
There was no problem at all, they checked the temperature of each sensor of the heating and interior, (there are over 8+ sensors in the cabin ) for climate control. and all had the correct temperature.
But what I figued out was, it seems the trunk and rear seat get heat from the rear right side big outlet, which heats up the cabin very quickly, so when the set temperature is reached, cold air starts comming out from the over head outlets.

Although I have tested it earlier with max temp, but now everythign is running fine
Just thought to update you all