Did a brake job on my 2011 Yukon Hybrid…then had oil PSI drop to zero!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2022, 09:43 AM
???
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Did a brake job on my 2011 Yukon Hybrid…then had oil PSI drop to zero!

Originally Posted by SonomaGTLS6
Heres a follow up for anyone who has oil pressure drop in the future!

Fixed Low Oil Pressure Issue on GMC Truck | Oil PSI Sensor Screen Replacement | P0011 P0521 DTC
https://youtu.be/XkI42l1h1No

have you ever cut open the old filter to inspect? I'm kinda curious if you find it full enough to cause it to bypass early. it's only a 12psi of back pressure inside the filter to bypass it. I can't imagine the oil passages ways themselves are dirty, I feel like you're getting unfiltered oil up there somehow.

wix does make a filter without a bypass. on the old sbc we used it tap and plug the bypass in the block to filter adaptor. just had to let it warm up before going high rpm but the common thought was saving the engine from unfiltered oil at high rpm.

just got me wondering if it wouldn't be an interesting test to run that filter and see if it stops clogging the lottch little screen. I do feel like at some point you're going to have the inside of that engine spotless inside.

I'm guessing the last owner used to bad or, or never changed it or something huh. I pulled my screen at 135k when the oem sensor died, failed to max lol. but the screen was clean. oil also comes out clean, but the car fax does show the first owner used the dealer for oil changes every 10k or so, up till about 80k miles. 2nd owner doesn't show anything on car fak, but I picked it up from a dealer buddy that said when he took it in on trade the owner couldn't stop talking about how much liked the hybrid lol. so I'm guessing he did his own maintenance and probably sold it because it needed a hybrid battery and just cut his losses.

anyways, the wix filter that's longer than stock but no I internal bypass is 51522. you can add xp to that number to get their "racing" filter, but it's a different filter media, they don't all have filter particle size listed, but when they do. usually the xp ones say a bigger size than that standard, in guessing for higher flow racing applications so they don't bypass as soon giving the higher pressure environment but give up some filtering to do it? I forget exactly the burst rating but it's way higher than the oil pump could ever produce.

Old 12-25-2022, 01:24 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Did a brake job on my 2011 Yukon Hybrid…then had oil PSI drop to zero!

Originally Posted by ???
that's not exactly true, while the o'ring is a common failure on the ls engines, if you have a engine with some build up, you pull the screen and see it's dirty, replace it and your oil pressure returns. it was the screen. this screen filters the oil going to your afm solenoids and down to activate and deactivate the lifters. as the lifters wear more it can be a good amount of oil flowing thru there. if you have sludge floating around, it can get clogged.

if you have 4wd replacing that oil pick up o ring is going to be a nightmare. much easier to test the screen first but yes there's a ton of videos on how to check and see if your oil pressure is low because of the pickup o'ring. since I have a steep driveway, I like the easy test of just backing up a steep incline and see if the oil pressure goes up. eaiser than adding more oil and then removing it. but both work.

if you have pressures and then it just drops to zero. that's normally sensor related. the o ring just allows it to suck some air alone with the oil lowering your pressure at idle a bit.
if a person has low oil pressure and you got the hybrid then the oil pickup oring needs replacement (i.e 2 hours of driving) it should be at 40psi.. and at 50-55psi while driving.

My engine oil is spotless at 4,000 miles I change it every 3500-4,000 miles I don't have a sludge problem or oil consumption problem..109K currently. going to get it changed at 110k miles I got to do the Coolant,rear diff & transmission at 115k as well
the only oil loss I have is from the Vlom seal leaking.. i can't justify spending a grand or two for such a small leak.. Self lubricating chassis

Last edited by Tahoe_08; 12-25-2022 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-26-2022, 08:25 AM
???
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tahoe_08
if a person has low oil pressure and you got the hybrid then the oil pickup oring needs replacement (i.e 2 hours of driving) it should be at 40psi.. and at 50-55psi while driving.

My engine oil is spotless at 4,000 miles I change it every 3500-4,000 miles I don't have a sludge problem or oil consumption problem..109K currently. going to get it changed at 110k miles I got to do the Coolant,rear diff & transmission at 115k as well
the only oil loss I have is from the Vlom seal leaking.. i can't justify spending a grand or two for such a small leak.. Self lubricating chassis

he didn't have low oil pressure, he had good oil pressure and then 0. that's not a sign of a bad o'ring

also the hybrid 6.0 doesn't have any different o'ring than every ls made during those years, from pickup truck to corvette. all the same ring, it's not a hybrid issue. many do over 300k without replacing them.

he has posted about his engine having sludge build up in it when he got it and going thru cleaning it out. you having clean oil means you are probably not going to see the screen get clogged like he does. instead of just saying change the o ring which isn't bad and is a nightmare to change out. if you've got a vlom leak, you really should fix that.. that's the oil feed to the lifters and they need all the clean oil then can get. many people believe it's the lack of good lubrication that causes the internal galling which cause the lifter to stick down and not engage. often time wiping out the engine if driven to long lole that. it's a super simple fix. just pull the intake and tighten the loose bolts. most of the time that fixes it, if not replace the gasket with a felpro. they are cheap and better than oem in my opinion. it's only a few hour job if you're not a mechanic, 30mins if you are, it's even easier on our hybrids than normal trucks because of no accessories. compared to a full weekend project to drop the front axle and oil pan to change the o ring that as long as your oil pressure is within spec, I don't see a reason to mess with.

I've posted this before but this is what the shop manual says the ecm is programed to look for. it is different on the hybrid than the standard ls because of the different type of oil pump used. with the newer LT engines the pump we have became standard across all platforms.

oil pressure spec hot36psi @100042psi @200045psi @4000afm relief valve 55-75 max. p0521 ecm detecta different oil pressure than expected by lower 6.8psi or greater than 7.3 psi for 10sec

read this from a scan tool not your dash gauge. the dash gauge filtered and adjusted to look nice, not to be correct.

Old 01-04-2023, 03:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah its most definitely the small filter thats clogging on mine. Fixes problem when I swap out the small filter. Progressively drops to zero and only happens late in the oil change. Corrects itself with a key cycle for a minute or two. After oil change its fine, I really just need to get in the habit of changing every 5k miles.

Next oil change I might just try 0w-20 and the PF63 like my 2019 or do the higher bypass WIX. Maybe I’ll have higher consumption but its worth the experiment to see how it reacts I suppose.