Cracked Dash Issue - 2008 Hybrid Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 09:01 AM
a2t
Active Enthusiast
Default Cracked Dash Issue - 2008 Hybrid Tahoe

Ive got a huge crack on left side of dash, its almost all the way thru the entire width of the dashboard, and is rattling (not to mention it looks like sheot).

I know this issue is extremely common, Ive seen the youtube video and the facebook page that is 73,000 views and counting. I also know GM is turning their backs on this one as well.

My question is, can I replace this myself, and is there CORRECTLY DESIGNED version of my dash available? Im reading all the threads about how even the new trucks are cracking. I certainly dont want to go thru this exercise and put in another flawed designed. I also really dont want to pay GM one penny for it, since they are completely responsible and yet are doing nothing about it.

Is there some way to repair the crack, or even use an overlay that doesnt look totally ghetto ?

To the GM Bots lurking on here :

Please copy this post, and email it your boss. DO NOT BOTHER RESPONDING TO MY POST ONLY TO TELL ME TO CONTACT MY LOCAL DEALER. Im aware of that option already. Tell your bosses THAT I WILL NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER CONSIDER BUYING ANOTHER GM PRODUCT FOR AS LONG AS I LIVE IF YOU REFUSE TO OWN UP TO MISTAKES AND MAKE THEM RIGHT WITH YOUR CUSTOMERS. I realize mistakes are made when designing something as complicated as a vehicle. I get that, Im a mechanical design engineer myself working in the automotive and aerospace industries for many many years. I've screwed up plenty of designs in my years. Customer satisfaction is not necessarily determined entirely by having the product perfect right out of the gate. It helps, dont get me wrong. But when mistakes occur (ie : door lock actuators with electric motors that quickly fail because the wrong brush material was used, or dash boards that crack due to a design error causing stress concentrations at thin transitions), you have to OWN UP TO THE ISSUE AND MAKE IT RIGHT WITH YOUR CUSTOMERS. Its that simple. There is no other moral option. There is no other option that will result in repeat customers. If you take care of the customer, they WILL COME BACK, I promise. I dont know guys, as it stands, I will never own another one of your vehicles because you have failed to stand behind your product. And this is a $55K vehicle, so Im sure its far worse with the lower cost GM's. Make this right, it will pay for itself in the long run. That is all ...

Paul

Last edited by a2t; 11-20-2013 at 09:12 AM.