2008 Chevrolet Hybrid Battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 11:52 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 Chevrolet Hybrid Battery

Originally Posted by tiktok4321
To somewhat temper S Keith's bluntness, your customer would be best off buying a new one from a dealer (between $3500-$4500). Expected life expectancy is around 8 years.

A very distant second option is the one I chose - a $2345 warrantied (kinda) battery from Greenbeanbattery.com. Expected life expectancy 3-4 years.

Last choice would be trying to service the unit on a module by module basis - $300 - 400. Expected life expectancy 6 mo - 1 yr, or until the next module fails.

Yes, Mr. Keith is blunt and harsh, but he's also right. He and I spat for nearly 6 months over the what if's. I proudly defer to him for expert advise.

any thoughts on green beans new lifetime warrenty plan?

Old 12-26-2020, 05:55 AM
Enthusiast

i purchased a gm tahoe hybrid about 3 yrs ago. i specifically ask the salesman what the hybrid was about and he said that it just gave ne better gas mileage, about 1 1/2 yrs ago it started stalling when slowing or waiting to pull out it would fall on its face. i took it to our mechanic and he said that he couldn't even pull the codes it was throwing and that we needed to go to a gm dealer. i took it to a local gm dealer and the said that it wouldn't do it for him. he was not sitting in traffic or at a light . so after $100 dollars he wiped the codes out which i specifically told
them not to do. He said that he had never seen one of these. i also ask if they where familiar with the hybrid and was told yes. about 4 months ago it just died at my sons house and i have nothing. no power. i called another gm dealer and he was like a deer in the headlights. he had no knowledge of this vehicle. he said that if i brought it to them that they would see if they could pull up anything through their computer. he really didn't know what to do. I will have to have it towed where ever i find help. my husband and i used our last savings to buy this and now i have nothing. and no one where i live knows anything. is GM offering any help with this. we paid cash for this and we have a lemon that we weren't were lied about if we were told it had a $4000/5000 battery pack we wouldn't have bought it. what is our options

$

Old 12-26-2020, 06:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Ok so a couple of things here. First, it's incumbent on the buyer to be aware of the definition of hybrid and do the due diligence on research. The dealer only wants to sell the car. It lasted for a solid year and a half before any symptoms so unfortunately that doesn't constitute a lemon by any legal definition.

Now, it is quite a shame that GM service personnel don't have a clue about how to work on hybrids. Image experienced this myself. But it's also bad on GMs part to not have engine codes that specifically call out hybrid issues. That's just crap of GM.

What year is your Tahoe and how many miles does it have? There are options for you, but it will take some cost analysis to determine what's best for you.

If you owe a lot on it, be aware you may get about nothing on trade - $1-2k. If your regular revive is staying and not putting our any codes, it may be well worth it to get a refurbished battery from a reseller who installs it for you where you sit. Depending on your geographical location, the options differ. If you are on the East coast, I recommend GreenBeanbattery.com. If you don't owe much, and the vehicle condition isn't great, I'd count your losses and move on. But if you can get a replacement hybrid battery for less than $3k, you should get many more years out of it. Of course, a factory new battery from the dealer will last the longest but will come at twice the price.

I've spent over $8k to keep mine going with now close to 250,000 miles. About to put yet another $2500 battery in it. Yeah, that's a lot of money but you still can't really beat the value in the utility of the Tahoe.

Last edited by tiktok4321; 12-26-2020 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-28-2020, 03:18 PM
Enthusiast

Hi I'm new to the site and do not know how to post but i have 09 Tahoe hybrid I just replaced hybrid battery now when i start the truck the engine will raise in rpm's like i am accelerating. Also shifter moves but truck wont go into gear and when it does it starts jurking. I also noticed when i start the voltage starts at 12volts and quickly go to 15volts is that normal Sorry to post like this pls can you help

Old 12-30-2020, 06:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dredfred
Hi I'm new to the site and do not know how to post but i have 09 Tahoe hybrid I just replaced hybrid battery now when i start the truck the engine will raise in rpm's like i am accelerating. Also shifter moves but truck wont go into gear and when it does it starts jurking. I also noticed when i start the voltage starts at 12volts and quickly go to 15volts is that normal Sorry to post like this pls can you help
Yikes. That's a whole lotta weird. Where did you get your battery? Sounds like a compatibility issue, ie: wrong battery for the vehicle. Did whoever installed it test drive it?

Old 01-26-2021, 07:45 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tiktok4321
Speaking from a man who was in almost complete denial, I can attest that this is more than likely a hybrid battery issue. It can be particularly irritating when your car stalls in an intersection, the codes come up, but by the time you get to a dealer, they're gone. At this point, depending on how much longer you plan to keep the vehicle, you have two options:

1) If you're in the East, try GreenBeanBattery.com. They can put in a reconditioned battery with a prorated 5 year warranty for $2,349. They will replace for free for 18 months, then 50% from 18-36 months, then 75% from 36-48 months, then 95% (useless by now) from 48-60 months. They claimed to me over the phone a 5% return rate. Expected life is 4-5 years, if that.

2) A dealer will charge $3,512 (current MSRP) for the battery plus 1-2 hours labor, so around $3750 + tax total. This will be a brand new battery that you can expect will last another 8-10 years.

3) Replace "bad" modules one at a time yourself and level charge it. Only if you really know what you're doing, and it may last 6 months or less before other modules need replacement.

I think the consensus from this group is option 2.

I would also take the opportunity while your vehicle is mechanically working well to get a FULL AND TOTAL ENGINE CLEANSE to get all the tiny oil ports thoroughly cleaned. DO NOT JUST ADD DETERGENT. These engines have a HIGH tendency to damage your cam shaft because of the AFM system. Detergent can dislodge sludge that can clog tiny ports. If the plastic tray that the lifters sit in crack, the lifters can get stuck. They will wear down the cam lobes and no longer be able to open or close your valves sufficiently, causing a misfire in your cylinders (P030x). This repair can cost $4-6K!
I know this is an old thread but maybe folks are game to pick this up...

I am about to replace my '08 Yukon hybrid battery. so thanks to everyone for previous threads/posts. this has been a really helpful forum. i'm a newbie and usually not the one doing the work so I appreciate the chance to learn and not be quite as ignorant when I'm making a $6000 (CDN) decision...yeah the dealer quoted me $6200 CDN which is painful.

One follow-up question: the quote above suggests an engine cleanse. can you clarify what you mean by that, e.g. what you'd tell the mechanic you want done? I asked about the lifters before and got told to just "wait" until there was an issue. you seem to suggest doing something proactive. i'd welcome everyone's thoughts on what that looks like and whether it's worth the investment.

thanks,
JP

Old 01-27-2021, 02:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

So what I was talking about there has nothing to do with the Hybrid system. The V8's on those vehicles - even through today - use hydraulics (engine oil) to shut off four cylinders in the Active Fuel Management (AFM) system. If the oil is dirty, it can clog the ports causing valve tappets to stick, eventually wearing down the lobe on the camshaft. This prevents the cylinder from opening completely and causing a misfire. It eventually destroyed my engine and I had to replace it. Half synth or full synthetic oil changes every 5k miles or 8k km will help avoid this, but there are no guarantees.

Old 02-03-2021, 04:33 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

before you replace it lt1gmc says to clean the connector in the back seat area the connector that connects to the HV battery (this connector only has low voltage stuff ) it's a bundle of wires.

DON'T mess with the orange cable that one has HIGH VOLTAGE

only use iso alcohol(make sure it's only Distilled water and alcohol) (be genial as not to bend the pins)
this fixed my auto sstop lagggggggggggggg problem I was about to drop a couple of grand on a new Aux pump and controller for nothing... I have to go to walmart and get a pipe cleaner to do a better job I did use a toothbrush but it's hard to use it to do a good job though

i.e this...
IMG_3602.JPG (1600×1067) (bp.blogspot.com)