08 HYHO stalling randomly (without codes) - details inside

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 01:58 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 08 HYHO stalling randomly (without codes) - details inside

Originally Posted by dawgfan1606
High Voltage Interlock System Circuit (P1AE3) seems to be what's killing my truck. Weird that the ONLY time it stalls is when it's sitting still, either auto-stop or with the engine running (happens in both D and M4). I'm really curious as to why the Tahoe doesn't die while moving. Almost makes me think a transmission sensor is screwed up...or, a computer is crapping out. Something is out of whack that it only stalls when sitting still
Check the HVIC wiring. The module is detecting that the output current is higher than the returning current, so it must be shorting out to something. Check the condition of the orange battery switch (contacts inside that close the HVIC circuit). Make sure the battery terminal cover is in place and the HVIC contacts on it are actually making good contact to each other.

Old 05-07-2021, 02:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'm really curious as to why the Tahoe doesn't die while moving. Almost makes me think a transmission sensor is screwed up...or, a computer is crapping out. Something is out of whack that it only stalls when sitting still
That is by design. This is what happens when that code sets:
Action Taken When the DTC Sets
DTCs P1B05, P1B06, P1AE2, P1AE3, P1AE4 are Type C DTCs.
The HPCM commands the BECM to open the high voltage contactor relays when vehicle speed is less than 5 km/h (3 mph) for 6 seconds.

Old 05-07-2021, 04:50 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jaime
Check the HVIC wiring. The module is detecting that the output current is higher than the returning current, so it must be shorting out to something. Check the condition of the orange battery switch (contacts inside that close the HVIC circuit). Make sure the battery terminal cover is in place and the HVIC contacts on it are actually making good contact to each other.
Do those plugs go bad? Is there a fuse inside it?

Old 05-07-2021, 06:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Do those plugs go bad? Is there a fuse inside it?
I can't say specifically on the GM pack, but almost every other Toyota-made pack has a safety plug with a 125A fuse in it, so I would expect the same. The Gen1 Prius and Highlander/RS4XXh packs don't, but their safety plugs are weee tiny.

A resistance check of the pins should yield if the fuse is blown or has gone high-resistance.

Fuse-in-the-safety-plug is pretty common across other packs. The Kia Optima/Hyundai Sonata Hybrid lithium pack has the same fuse in a similar safety plug.

Old 05-09-2021, 10:25 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

it has a relay the relay might be worn too (you can hear it click ) when the key is turned at lest my sensitive hearing can pick it up

see here dxYXL.jpg (300×154) (imgur.com)