General Motors Corporation Chevrolet, GMC and Saturn hybrids

won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2021, 04:35 PM
Enthusiast
Question won't crank

Hello! A few weeks ago the car was given a good wash, although only a little water got into the engine compartment from the closed hood. Afterward it wouldn't crank. The lights are on in the console, but there's only a single click when I try to start it. I tried to jump it, but no change. I also put on another ground cable just in case, still but nothing. There are pretty much no mechanics in our area (southern Mexico) who've ever seen a hybrid. We found a fellow who claims to be able to diagnose and fix it. He said that the codes he saw indicated that the starter had been going bad for a while. Then he said that the starter is located in the transmission. Then he's supposedly looked for another one, and the last news he has is that a piece has been found in the US, but that it will cost $5,000 for the part and labor. So I see lots of red flags. Can any of you help me figure this mess out? Many thanks!
​​​​​​

Old 11-25-2021, 07:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: won't crank

It seems that no one knows the answer to this one. So I'll ask a simpler question that I hope someone can answer since it would help me. Where is the starter on this car? I appreciate your help very much!

Old 12-11-2021, 08:14 PM
Enthusiast

Hello again! I now have realized afer a lot of searching that this car doesn't have a typical starter. I am obviously new to hybrids, but love the car. So it's in front of my home for two months now because I can't find anyone who can give me any advice for the original no crank past some weeks ago. Has no one had asimilar problem? What are the things I should look for, when I get under the car connections to the transmission, relays, fuses, frayed wires, etc.? I hate guessing and shooting in the dark. And any parts that I need will have to be shipped form the uSA or brought in by visiting friends. I'm a USA citizen, and where I live and work as a missionary in southern Mexico there is absolutely no one who has any real idea of how to work on a hybrid. A little bit of troubleshooting or advice would be a great help to me, and I need it very badly. My sincere thanks to you.

Old 12-13-2021, 11:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

No one has helped you because you've given no actionable information. Without DTCs, everybody is just guessing. Posting in a 14 year old thread is likely not going to get you anywhere.

The mechanic is "right." The starter is "in the transmission"... sorta.

Both electric drive motor/generators (one attached to the drive shaft and one attached to the ICE) are in the Transmission. During start, the 12V powers all the electronics, once all handshaking is done, the HV battery is connected to the car via relays. Once connected, the HV battery spins the motor/generator to start the ICE.

These transmissions fail from time to time, and replacement is the only option. The Aux pump also fails from time to time, and that can be replaced.

Again, without DTCs, we can only misguide you.

Last edited by S Keith; 12-13-2021 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-16-2021, 04:16 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you very much for pointing out my lack of information to receive help! I installed a new 12v battery that I bought for another car since the original battery was dead . So I was able to get the codes off today. There are several. P0AC4, P1B01, P1AEF, P0C61, P0C57, P0C0E, P0A45. With the new battery the car still doesn't start up, just a click. Thank you again for your knowledge and advice!

Last edited by dlnelsonroca; 12-16-2021 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-16-2021, 04:44 PM

P0AC4 - Hybrid Powertrain Control Module Request MIL Illumination (ignore)

P1B01 - Drive Motor B Control Programmable Logic Device Security Code

P1AEF - Drive Motor B Hybrid Battery System Voltage High

https://electricvehicleforums.com/fo...25/#post266587

P0C61 - Drive Motor B Position Sensor Circuit B Low
P0C57 - Drive Motor B Position Sensor Circuit A Low
P0C0E - Drive Motor B Inverter Power Supply Circuit/Open
P0A45 - Drive Motor B Position Sensor Circuit

You have two of four of these codes referenced in this Tech Pub:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...54556-9999.pdf

Old 12-16-2021, 05:51 PM
Enthusiast

Wow, thanks! My son in law and I will get looking for bad connections, etc., this weekend. our input is very appreciated!

Old 12-16-2021, 07:42 PM

Old 12-16-2021, 07:44 PM

Old 12-17-2021, 05:34 AM

Zip of file Hillbilly_Hybrid was uploading.

Quick Reply: won't crank

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands