Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Congratulations Hyper-Milers!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 06:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:16 PM

--

Old 07-25-2004, 11:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Holy crap guys. I envy you to no extent, that is simply amazing. 90+ MPG!!!! :o Thats insane even for those mods you have. You must really have that hybrid driving style down to a t.

Old 08-02-2004, 10:38 AM

--

Old 08-02-2004, 12:52 PM

I bought a used 2004 5-speed HCH earlier this month, had 4823 miles when I got it.

The previous owner had kept the "Trip B" odometer as the total miles on the car - the total miles and the Trip B odometer miles read the same number of miles.

Total MPG for the Trip B odometer reads 34.8 MPG. So to me, that logically says that the car has achieved only 34.8 MPG over the first 5700 miles.

Is that what I can assume? If so, that's pretty paltry overall mileage for a Hybrid, wouldn't you all agree?

Does anyone else have a trip meter that has been maintained equal to the mileage on the car, and does yours show something similarly low?

Thanks !!!

Old 08-03-2004, 05:30 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally posted by lars-ss@Aug 2nd 2004 @ 2:52 PM
Total MPG for the Trip B odometer reads 34.8 MPG. So to me, that logically says that the car has achieved only 34.8 MPG over the first 5700 miles.

Is that what I can assume? If so, that's pretty paltry overall mileage for a Hybrid, wouldn't you all agree?

Does anyone else have a trip meter that has been maintained equal to the mileage on the car, and does yours show something similarly low?

Thanks !!!
If you drive it with your foot on the floor and a/c on all the time and in the city I think you might just get that type of milage. Mine shows 55.3 for lifetime on trip "B".

Old 08-06-2004, 09:27 AM

I have about 4500 miles on my 04 HCH CVT.
I have data on 7 tanks of gas (I think I lost the data for one tank)
The average of these 7 tanks is 57.0 MPG.

I think there is nothing wrong with your car.
It all depends on how you drive.
Most people drive in a very non fuel-efficient way.

Old 08-06-2004, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by kenny@Aug 6th 2004 @ 11:27 AM
I have about 4500 miles on my 04 HCH CVT.
I have data on 7 tanks of gas (I think I lost the data for one tank) The average of these 7 tanks is 57.0 MPG.
I think there is nothing wrong with your car.
It all depends on how you drive.
Most people drive in a very non fuel-efficient way.
It amazes me that you guys can get those astronomical MPG rates....

I have driven SO VERY CAREFULLY to get my 40 mpg on my first two and a half tanks. I coast in gear whenever possible, I use ECON, I have inflated tires to 38 PSI, I have installed low-friction Synthetic oil, I never even come CLOSE to aggressive acceleration, I watch the charging and assist lights constantly. I personally drive in a VERY fuel-efficient manner, and am learning new tricks and habits almost every day.

One of my problems is that my commute is a city stop-and-go drive every morning and afternoon. My drive is this:

Take kids to school, about 5 total miles, go through 8 stop lights, then drive about 4 more miles to work, hitting 7 more lights on that part of the trip. Speed limits vary from 30-45 MPH along the way. I get to fifth gear as soon as I can, and I coast into stop lights while braking (for regenerative charging purposes) and I use the cruise control when I can (because I noticed it does a better job than my foot in keeping the green charging lights on.) Mostly completely flat roads, just a couple of slight inclines. I use the A/C in the afternoon part of the drive, not ususally in the morning. I'm in Phoenix, and it has been averaging about 104 degrees per day since I got the car on July 11th.

Can you describe for me your commute? It must be a lot of highway miles on a flat road - there is no way you can get 57 MPG in city driving. If you can, then there MUST be something wrong with my HCH. Even on a particularly long (30 miles) highway jaunt at 65 mph, the computer never showed higher than 47.1 MPG.

Thanks !!

Old 08-06-2004, 11:11 AM

You are driving short trips in Arizona heat with the air conditioner on and other people in the car.

I'm in Los Angeles near the beach, driving alone and I weigh 185 lbs, no air conditioner, drive mostly on the freeway at 53 MPH on cruise control, no big hills, I accelerate like a snail.
I am an extreeeeeeem hyper-miler

I think your car is okay.

Do a test in the evening when you don't need the air conditioner.
Get on the freeway for 15 minutes to warm up the car.
Drive at 53 MPH on a flat stretch on cruise control.
Zero your Trip A meter.
Drive for 10 minutes, with your windows closed.
What do you get?
I'll bet it is in the 60s.

Old 08-06-2004, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by kenny@Aug 6th 2004 @ 1:11 PM
Do a test in the evening when you don't need the air conditioner. Get on the freeway for 15 minutes to warm up the car. Drive at 53 MPH on a flat stretch on cruise control. Zero your Trip A meter. Drive for 10 minutes, with your windows closed. What do you get? I'll bet it is in the 60s.
Well, I think I *will* do that test, but only sometime after October 1st. Unlike SoCal, it does not get cool in the evenings here until after the summer heating is over. During the summer, we sometimes have over 100 degrees AFTER 10 P.M. In fact, we set a record last July for the LOW TEMP never going below 96 degrees one night.

Thanks for the input, and good luck on your Hyper-Mileage !!

Quick Reply: Congratulations Hyper-Milers!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands