Ford Motor Company Ford, Mazda and Mercury hybrids

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid - Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 01:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid - Won't Start

Originally Posted by 09FordEscapeHybrid
Any chance anyone would know where the Starter is located?
Inside the transmission.

Old 12-20-2021, 06:10 PM
Enthusiast

To be clear, When you say "inside the Transmission", do you mean there is no starter like a conventional vehicle has, but instead, it is started by the hybrid electric motor. So, it's not like this vehicle can simply have a starter gone bad or swapped out to fix it this issue. correct?

Also, does anyone know where I can get a pdf file of the Engine Specs, a Diagram of the Engine?

Old 12-20-2021, 06:53 PM

Correct.

https://www.motorcraftservice.com

Make an account. For $22 you get 72 hours of access to every tech document on Ford's website by VIN if you prefer.

Old 02-14-2022, 08:44 AM
Enthusiast

this might help you: How Long Do Ford Escapes Last? Ford Escapes Problems

Old 02-14-2022, 09:41 AM
Enthusiast

I must be special, you signed up today just to share this with me. You have one post and it was for me. Thank you,

I get that for a lot of folks mileage is an important indicator of age, wear and tear. But for me it doesn't mean a whole lot, and I hope to get as much mileage out of it as possible, my high mileage is mostly highway. I've taken good care of the vehicle and overall it's in relatively good shape.

Fortunately, I've had the vehicle towed to the dealer where those techs are experts and know these vehicles inside and out. I expect they'll be able to resolve the "Stop Safely Now" issue and have me back up and running at a reasonably low cost.

Thanks for sharing,

Old 02-14-2022, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by 09FordEscapeHybrid
I must be special, you signed up today just to share this with me. You have one post and it was for me. Thank you,

I get that for a lot of folks mileage is an important indicator of age, wear and tear. But for me it doesn't mean a whole lot, and I hope to get as much mileage out of it as possible, my high mileage is mostly highway. I've taken good care of the vehicle and overall it's in relatively good shape.

Fortunately, I've had the vehicle towed to the dealer where those techs are experts and know these vehicles inside and out. I expect they'll be able to resolve the "Stop Safely Now" issue and have me back up and running at a reasonably low cost.

Thanks for sharing,
You're triply special. The dealership and techs you describe are unicorns in their rarity. The claim that it can be done "at a reasonably low cost" is an even higher improbability.

The more common experience with dealerships is to charge excessive diagnostic fees and follow it with a misdiagnosis.

Please disclose the dealership in question so that all may benefit.

Old 02-26-2022, 08:46 PM
Enthusiast

Well, I had towed the vehicle in a few weeks ago. They said it'd be about 5-6 weeks before they could get to it. And, this past week, got a VM saying it was "good to go".

Picked it up, total bill was $187 and drove it home. So far, it's run like it's always run and haven't had any issues. I truly think it was the combination of the cold weather drop while leaving it sitting for 12 days had the battery drop below the HV threshold to start it. So, I've never had a good experience with a dealerships service department and always heard they rip you off and to avoid them. I guess, there is a first for everything, this is one happy satisfied customer. I'm very surprised!

Last edited by 09FordEscapeHybrid; 02-26-2022 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-26-2022, 08:58 PM

You're very fortunate. Most dealers don't have the charger on site as there's only a handful of them in the country. Dealers get charged to borrow them, and they tend to charge ~$1-2K while saying "we can't guarantee it will work."

I've even received cars that dealers allegedly tried to charge with the charger. They claimed it didn't work, said "sorry" and submitted a $1,000 bill to the customer.

Unfortunately, the invoice looks like an exercise in creating writing. The car will never charge the battery to 61% SoC @ idle, and the battery is not "a 330V battery." It's a 300V battery (250 cells * 1.2V/cell = 300V nominal).

If you ever need to leave the vehicle sitting for more than a few days, disconnect the 12V battery and disconnect the data harness from the front driver's side of the battery - 10mm socket.

Old 03-01-2022, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by S Keith
Unfortunately, the invoice looks like an exercise in creating writing. The car will never charge the battery to 61% SoC @ idle, and the battery is not "a 330V battery." It's a 300V battery (250 cells * 1.2V/cell = 300V nominal).
SKeith, I thought 300V was the absolute minimum to start the car? I'm asking this in good faith, not a "gotcha" because I if I have it wrong I want to know.

Last edited by AlexK; 03-01-2022 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-01-2022, 10:43 AM

Congratulations! And now it is time to play the lottery. I thought that after all this time, a result like that would be like finding Meat Loaf's proverbial Coupe de Ville at the bottom of a Cracker Jack box.

Quick Reply: 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid - Won't Start

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands