Ford Motor Company Ford, Mazda and Mercury hybrids

09 FEH wrong battery?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2022, 05:59 AM
Enthusiast
Default 09 FEH wrong battery?

I purchased a 2009 FEH recently and was looking into replacing the battery due to low battery codes (don't have access to the codes right now). The manufacture date was 08/08. The battery installed is 9M68-10B759-AC. There is a lot of conflicting info online about the correct pack for this vehicle: some say '05-'09 and other sources say '09 only with a part number of 9M68-10B759-AD or 9M6Z10B759D. Does anyone here have info on which battery pack should be in the vehicle, or a source for a definitive answer? I don't know if the pack has been replaced in the past or not. Thanks

Old 11-27-2022, 12:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 09 FEH wrong battery?

Many MY 2009 vehicles were made in mid to late 2008. Battery part number starting with "9" indicates MY 2009.

Look for evidence of wear on the mounting bolts in the back corners and along the front of the battery. If there are only marks present that would be made by tightening the hex, then it's likely the original. If there are marks that would be made from loosening, then it's likely been replaced.

As a new owner of an old hybrid, I can only wish you the best of luck.

Old 11-27-2022, 01:08 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks. The Escape seems to be pretty ok, but I was told that the battery discharges if not run every few days. I will be adding the wiring for the jump-start procedure and getting the LED power supply required. I have been driving it and am averaging 28 to 30 mpg. It is a 4WD model. Great Jump Start post btw. Also will be running the Forscan balance routine.

Old 11-27-2022, 01:55 PM

A battery that self-discharges that regularly has failed. The forscan balancing routine and grid charge are just bandaids. There has been some evidence that some abnormality can cause the battery to drain, i.e., the vehicle drains it, not because the hybrid battery is failing, but because something external is draining it. I don't recall what the resolution was. I have a vague memory it was ignition switch related.

Once you have:
1) secured forscan for diagnostics
2) secured the ability to charge it yourself

Recommend you see if 1 wk sitting will drain the HV battery in the two conditions independently:
1) 12V battery disconnected.
2) HV battery data plug and safety plug removed.

It's my understanding the 4WD model is very problematic. The transfer case (PTU) is subjected to horrible heat and it destroys the fluid. It needs to be changed regularly even though it's supposedly "lifetime" fluid.

Old 04-11-2024, 10:17 AM
Enthusiast

Look for evidence of wear on the mounting bolts in the back corners and along the front of the battery. If there are only marks present that would be made by tightening the hex, then it's likely the original. If there are marks that would be made from loosening, then it's likely been replaced.

Last edited by DeanMassye; 04-11-2024 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by DeanMassye
Thank you for presenting my reply as your own. This is very meaningful and greatly enhances the value of this community. If there was a medal for this, I would nominate you.