Ford Motor Company Ford, Mazda and Mercury hybrids

09 FEH front display / FDIM

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2023, 06:05 PM
Enthusiast
Default 09 FEH front display / FDIM

I recently acquired a 09 FEH and have gleaned much info from this website, so I thought I'd throw a little something out there that I came across regarding the front displays. I might have missed it, but I never seen where anybody gutted one of these! Mine was totally blank, so after verifying power and ground to it, I took it apart, hoping to find something obviously wrong. Seeing nothing was burnt and no cold solder joints, I ordered a new PNP transistor for it (the only thing that was mounted to a heatsink). It had a "B1375" in it, which is obsolete but can be had on the auction site. I substituted a "KSB1366GTU", and it appears to be working fine. YMMV, but it is a relatively easy thing to try, and the transistor was $1.26 and $5 shipping. If this burns up, I'll update the thread!

Maybe it was just a bad connection that somehow got reset, but I had smacked it around pretty good before taking it apart and didn't get anything out of it. Oh, and don't drop any mounting screws down into the abyss of the panel like I did.

I think it needs to see the CAN bus to power up, did nothing connected to just a power supply.

Isn't too bad getting it apart, just be careful prying on all the tabs to get the window out!

Old 02-11-2023, 04:08 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 09 FEH front display / FDIM

The display has failed to power up a few times, but I can smack the top of the dash once and it will turn on.

Old 03-02-2023, 03:39 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 09 FEH front display / FDIM

Display finally quit and wouldn't come back on. I went to a local salvage yard and found an '08 FEH that still had the display, so I installed it and is working fine. It looks like these have constant voltage applied and are switched on by a "key on" signal on the CAN bus. I might dig into the original one sometime and try changing some of the CAN components.