The OEM navigation radio really doesn't have an amplifier?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 04:54 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: The OEM navigation radio really doesn't have an amplifier?!

3 is a really bad option. It's like 30-40 wires to solder or otherwise crimp. Plus working out the entire pinout. Online they want at least 50-60+ which would price it out. The limited must have really been limited.

Old 06-16-2021, 06:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ShadyEscape
3 is a really bad option. It's like 30-40 wires to solder or otherwise crimp. Plus working out the entire pinout. Online they want at least 50-60+ which would price it out. The limited must have really been limited.
I don't know the production numbers but you're probably right. I haven't seen another Limited model on the road in the entire time I've owned the car (there's a badge on the rear hatch). Lots of other nice ones, but the Limited models with the backup cameras were rare as hen's teeth - they were relatively expensive on top of the already expensive basic Hybrid. I was lucky to find this one in this condition, and that's why I want to keep it as "stock" as possible. Sorry to hear about all the wires that would need to be done, I was figuring 15 or maybe 20 at the outside.

Old 06-17-2021, 03:35 AM

All the wires at the radio I cut off and probably the connector that goes to the APIM since I yanked on it. It should be easy to find another car with navigation.... famous last words. There's been a few limiteds for sale near me. Also, lots of <2008 cars at the wrecker, most of the 2009+ are accidents.

Old 07-04-2021, 09:02 PM
Enthusiast

At the wrecker when something caught my eye. An OEM nav radio in a 2009 HEV. Didn't know if it worked or really anything but $20 later I have a stock NAV and the bezel. It's the NA6W-4200. Has the 40GB HDD too.

The local pick and pull had 50% off this weekend, and some other specials, so I picked up a bunch of stuff, including a spare HCU ($37), and noticed a 2008 Escape with Nav. Got the unit, and the harness for $10. At first, figured that I'd use it in the garage, then did a well-duh, and realized it could go in one of my F150s, which I basically use as work trucks.

If you get the later one working, especially the HD used for storing MP3s, I might look to snag one next time they have a killer sale. I tend to spend more time in my garage than I do in the F150, so having a ton of MP3s stored on a HD in the garage, especially on the cheap, would be fun.
The 2006 Hybrid I'm working on now has the premium sound system with Nav, so I'm leaving that as is.

Here's a link that might have some additional info on your head unit: https://www.infotainment.com/collect...iant=494824657

Old 07-05-2021, 04:12 PM
Enthusiast

BTW: This an F150 Forum, but they explain the differences between the types of head units and some of the wiring:
https://www.f150forum.com/f30/2004-2...-49666/index3/

Old 07-06-2021, 05:11 AM

Wish those guys sold the harness still but they are waaay too expensive. I suppose I could use my spare harness and try to make one. I really don't know why it doesn't start when power is applied. I see some people have done it but no mention of how. The pricey site at least says I can put the amp under the steering column vs the seat.

If only I could find a good vin decoder that lists car options, would make things so much easier. I see more cars and my only option is drive 20 miles and/or look for sunroofs.

Last edited by ShadyEscape; 07-08-2021 at 04:46 AM.
Old 07-09-2021, 08:16 PM
Enthusiast

Wish those guys sold the harness still but they are waaay too expensive. I suppose I could use my spare harness and try to make one. I really don't know why it doesn't start when power is applied. I see some people have done it but no mention of how. The pricey site at least says I can put the amp under the steering column vs the seat.

If only I could find a good vin decoder that lists car options, would make things so much easier. I see more cars and my only option is drive 20 miles and/or look for sunroofs.
Hmmnn...I just put that 2008 Nav radio in one of my F150s as a test, which didn't have Premium sound, so it had just just one connector, and it got the Ford logo, and would load a CD into any of the slots, but after the Ford display went away, the display was blank. I wonder what signal I'm missing?
I guess I could go back and snag the amp, I have the harness, but that WAS a nice vehicle that got REALLY whacked...all the air bags were deployed:

BTW: Why are you looking for sunroofs? Is that an easy way to spot Limited's?
I just sold a 2002 Escape a few day ago with a sunroof, I don't think it was a Limited. Currently I have a 2006 Hybrid and a 2010 non-hybrid in my garage, neither of which are Limiteds, all with sunroofs.

I'm not totally up on Escapes yet, please clarify.

Last edited by Skelly; 07-09-2021 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-10-2021, 02:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Skelly
Hmmnn...I just put that 2008 Nav radio in one of my F150s as a test, which didn't have Premium sound, so it had just just one connector, and it got the Ford logo, and would load a CD into any of the slots, but after the Ford display went away, the display was blank. I wonder what signal I'm missing?
I guess I could go back and snag the amp, I have the harness, but that WAS a nice vehicle that got REALLY whacked...all the air bags were deployed:

BTW: Why are you looking for sunroofs? Is that an easy way to spot Limited's?
I just sold a 2002 Escape a few day ago with a sunroof, I don't think it was a Limited. Currently I have a 2006 Hybrid and a 2010 non-hybrid in my garage, neither of which are Limiteds, all with sunroofs.

I'm not totally up on Escapes yet, please clarify.
The easiest way to spot a Limited, at least on the '09s and '10s, is by the front grille...both the upper and lower sections are chrome.

Old 07-10-2021, 03:59 AM

I looked for at least a sunroof and I'll start hunting for the grille now too. It just needs a premium audio/navigation package. Some of the junkyards take an interior shot. Wish there was a way to tell what packages they ordered from the vins. I have the hybrid nav now so any screen and escape nav cable harness should do.

I checked most of the ones in my area as of this week and no navs. Might grab the map lights and add them on from the sunroof versions.. that dome light is too far back. I can tap off the makeup light wires and just ignore the switch.

Strange that the F150 doesn't boot up even with the can signal. Mine went to ford logo and then booted even on the incorrect harness/wrong vin programmed.