Need Towing 101..

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 02:08 PM
Dan
MPG Centurion
Default Need Towing 101..

OK... So a friend of mine recently got a pop-up trailer. I was interested so I went looking. Found this:

http://www.vikingrv.com/camping/epic/1706.htm

Now it has an Axle Weight of 1192 lbs and but there are lots of other weights thrown in there.

So Me+Wife+Kids = 500 lbs of people
Luggage = 200 lbs of junk

MMH Curb Weight = 3610 lbs
MMH Gross Weight = 4680 lbs
MMH Towing Cap = 1000 lbs

So total load (vehicle + trailer + cabin) should not exceed 5680 lbs.

So Family+Luggage+Trailer+Camper+MMH = 5585 lbs. So that puts me below the 5680 limit, but I exceed the actual towing limit.

Am I ok, or should I worry? Is 1000 lbs really the max towing capacity or just a ballpark? As long as I monitor the axle temp is there anything to worry about?

Old 03-17-2008, 03:00 PM
Dan
MPG Centurion
Default Re: Need Towing 101..

OK... What gives.

The standard 4 cyl Escape is rated to tow 2000 lbs.

The 6 cyl Escape is rated to tow 3500 lbs.

The Hybrid 4 cyl Escape is rated to tow 1000 lbs.

The Hybrid (even with Atkins Cycle) has comparable horsepower to the V6, and definitely more than the 4cyl. I would expect the towing capacity to be somewhere between 2000-3000 lbs.

So... What gives?

Old 03-17-2008, 05:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

To the best of my knowledge, Ford has never specified what component limits the FEH towing capacity. However, I assume the transmission capacity is the limitation since that's the only component in the drive train that is unique.

As far as the pop-up goes, you will probably be fine with the stated conditions (not overloading the trailer or vehicle). However, extensive towing with any vehicle will have some negative impact on the expected life, even if it's within the ratings. Also, you would be technically outside of the warranty parameters.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

My concern about towing with the FEH has been how it'll hold up on steep grades that go for more than a mile or so.

1000 lbs. through the midwest, no problem. Get it into the mountains and it could be a very different story. I have this fear that the braking system would overheat while going downhill if the tow weight was too high.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

I wouldn't worry too much about the braking system. The FEH really has better braking than a conventional Escape. The regen braking will work until the battery is full (and should never overheat going to full battery charge). Low gear will give enhanced engine braking (I think the Atkinson cycle helps here). Then the actual physical brakes are the same as any other Escape.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:09 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KenG
Then the actual physical brakes are the same as any other Escape.
Actually the FEH/MMH has better braking than the standard Escape/Mariner due to the rear disk on the FEH/MMH vs the rear hub brakes on the standard models. IMO.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

There has also been mention that the lower towing rating might take into account that in reverse the hybrid only uses battery power....

Old 03-18-2008, 09:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Slick
There has also been mention that the lower towing rating might take into account that in reverse the hybrid only uses battery power....
Good point, but to be precise, it's only electric power. The power can come from the battery and the generator. So the engine can help, but reverse is only driven electrically.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah sorry, that's what I meant but was typing to fast

Old 03-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by salsbr
Good point, but to be precise, it's only electric power. The power can come from the battery and the generator. So the engine can help, but reverse is only driven electrically.

Basically I think you guys have it figured out.... she may have 135HP when going forward, but in reverse ALL you have is the electric motor to provide torque to the wheels. The engine can be running and turning the generator to suppliment the battery in providing current to the traction motor.. but all that you have to push that trailer around when you are trying to park it is the traction motor.

Quick Reply: Need Towing 101..

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands