This guy should be banned from the road

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 05:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default This guy should be banned from the road

http://www.motherjones.com/news/feat...permilers.html

After reading this article, I can't believe what this guy is doing. I lost track of all the traffic laws he broke(going 52mph around a 25mph curve, driving one car Length behind an 18 wheeler)etc etc etc.

Never mind the road rage he causes behind him, he scared the life out of his poor passengers. IMHO this moron should be banned from ever driving on a public road again, I don't care how much gas he's saving -he's flat out dangerous..........

~John

Old 03-13-2007, 05:26 AM
Banned
Default The Net: Slanderers Paradise

You don't even know him - amazing what people say about strangers.

I have met Wayne (listed here as xcel with over 2,600 posts) as have others. I never felt like my life was in danger when he drove my car. You are speculating about drivers reacting to Wayne's driving. He lets others by in any way he can.

A lot of these kind of stories are printed because they are eye-catching - I would not expect everyone to drive like he does, but it would be great if the general public moved to a middle ground away from the typical aggressive/distracted driving we see daily (and is more worthy of getting a suspended licence).

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 03-13-2007 at 06:01 AM.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:14 AM
Default Re: The Net: Slanderers Paradise

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
You don't even know him - amazing what people say about strangers.

I don't need to know him to realize I don't want to be on the same road with him after reading how he drives.......

~John

Old 03-13-2007, 06:37 AM
Banned
Default The Net: Slanderers Paradise

jmorton10,

I could make a long list of people that know Wayne Gerdes here, at www.cleanmpg.com, www.priuschat.com. That includes a PC moderator that is a neighbor of his, and all the moderators at GH.

I totally understand (and respect) you would not want to drive like that - seriously. You are taking it a step further and saying he is a danger on public highways. Wouln't it seem reasonable numerous people that have met Wayne would have already made strong posts such as yours if they were concerned? Surely one of them would speak if they agreed with your portait of his driving. jmorton10, try seaching within the sites mentioned or Google if you wish. In virtually every instance, the people dissing Wayne have not met him. Who are you more likely to believe, people that have met the person in question, or a stranger?

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 03-13-2007 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:39 AM
Contributor ($)
Default Re: This guy should be banned from the road

I am more concerned with people that drive over the speed limit EVERY TIME THEY GET IN A CAR. Yes, you know who you are. And by the way... just because it's "only" 5 mph over the speed limit, it is speeding.) Do you realize how much danger you are putting me and my family in every time you drive? The increased stopping distance created by your thoughtless, illegal speeding is a lot more than you think.

Last edited by ericbecky; 03-13-2007 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:00 AM

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here, but anybody who tailgates 18 wheel trucks & goes around corners so fast his passengers are scared is in NO WAY more dangerous than the guy cruising at 5 mph over the speed limit IMHO.

~John

Old 03-13-2007, 08:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

I am more concerned about the guy who does five under in the LEFT lane. he is far more dangerous or the guy multitasking behind the wheel. I spent most of my time in the right lane and hate it when people cut me off or tailgate in order to pass this slow moving speed bump.

Word to the wise if you are doing the limit or less, get in the right lane, or are you so self absorbed you are not aware of all the people passing you on the right?

Last edited by Jerry&Natalie; 03-13-2007 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerry&Natalie
I am more concerned about the guy who does five under in the LEFT lane. he is far more dangerous or the guy multitasking behind the wheel.
I agree - slow in the left lane is very bad. Wayne definitely does not do that.

I've seen a lot more near misses in the past five years from distracted and multitasking drivers. Most of the collisions I've been in could have been avoided if I'd been focused. They happened when I was going too fast - not too slow.

Originally Posted by Jerry&Natalie
Word to the wise if you are doing the limit or less, get in the right lane, or are you so self absorbed you are not aware of all the people passing you on the right?
Just pass and go about your business. If you are courtously and easily allowed to pass - what is the problem? Wayne, myself and others are more aware of traffic than many drivers on the phone.

Not as edgy as hypermiling is ecodriving. I'd be encouraged if that kind of driving happened more than aggressive/multitasking driving.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 03-13-2007 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by jmorton10
... , driving one car Length behind an 18 wheeler)etc etc etc.
I wonder how those 18 wheeler drivers feel?

I mean, his saving of gas, costs them more fuel. There is no such thing as a "free ride". All the energy (gas) this guy saves by "drafting" has to be made up for somewhere, and that has to be by the trucks using more energy (burning more fuel).

And since nothing is 100% efficient, I would think that for every gallon of gas he saves, the truck burns 1.5 gallons of additional fuel.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:21 AM

John, I also know Wayne and he has driven my FEH well over 100 safe miles on a trip to Sebring for the 12 hour race with me last year. He is a professional driver for FE, and many here will never have his talent or abilities to concentrate while driving like he does.

In the article, Hobbit, a friend of Wayne's takes a different view much like I do with regard to staying with the flow of traffic. We both agree Wayne is within his rights to drive slower than traffic at times. Bike riders have the right of driving on the road over vehicles here in Florida, but we don't have a safety problem with that.

Wayne has brought more to the table than anyone I know, and he is the first to tell people to use caution if they think they want to try his techniques. When he was helping me with testing acceleration and "N" gliding in my FEH, the first thing he told me was to find a back country road with no traffic.

Wayne is my friend and a very good person with alot of talent. The person that wrote that article did not suggest Wayne should be banned from the road, but thought his story needed to be told.

GaryG

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands