Front Brakes - lessons learned

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 03:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Front Brakes - lessons learned

Originally Posted by RiverRat37
Sounds like you guys (and gals) aren't double clutching (standard tranny). Good double clutching will create zero wear on the clutch plates. In fact, if you get really good at it you needn't use the clutch pedal at all upshifting and downshifting. It will slide from one gear to another like greased lightening (excepting reverse and first from a start!) Of course, during the practice to get it right it you may grind a few mm off the gears!
You do realize that the FEH only comes with automatic transmission?

Old 11-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

(blushing) Ahhhh yes, I do. Seems I got so wrapped up in the double clutching thing I forgot the obvious. Thanks.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, just FYI, now I've got 189,000 miles and 6 years on my original brakes, and not just I, but the mechanics that see them say "plenty life left on those brakes". Looks like I'll be replacing my traction battery before brake pads!

Old 02-08-2014, 07:37 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I bought our '09 FEH with 108,000km on it. At about 115,000km it needed a brake job. That's about 70,000miles. When I bought it, the front rotors looked very rusty, so it could be that rust contributed to the shorter life.

I have noticed that until it warms up some it does not do regenerative braking and has been mentioned above, this is far more evident in the winter.

We also descend rough gravel roads in the mountains that may come down as much as 4000'. This vastly exceeds the capacity of the traction battery, so much of this is done with the friction brakes.

In stop and go traffic jams, I try to stay above 3mph when moving so the braking is at least partially regenerative.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hcbflash
Will, how many miles on the worn pads/rotors?

You've all got me flinching; I've got 113K on my original brakes, and last time anybody looked at them (at around 90K I think) they told me they looked like new. Guess what I'm planning on doing tomorrow!

I had 150,000 km on my pads/rotors