Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

The United States of Toyota (article)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 01:57 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: The United States of Toyota (article)

Tw,

I wasn't saying it specifically to you, but that is the message yes.
Don't take it personally, but I am entitled to my opinion, as you are to yours.

As the article says (and I have for years). Regardless of where it is built or what parts it has, the largest profits are made at the manufacturing level. Hence, the largest portion of profit from ANY JAPANESE car, simply goes back to Japan.

The same for German, Korean and so on.

Even though the American car companies may be using outsourced parts, the largest profits stay in OUR country, which the american companies pay TAXES on and so forth.

So, I will be the one to say it. If you don't buy AMERICAN MADE PRODUCTS when you can, YOU AREN'T supporting our country. It doesn't get any simpler than that.
Not a popular opinion here especially, but it is mine and it is what drives many of my purchase decisions.

08FEH

Old 10-08-2007, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by 08FEH
So, I will be the one to say it. If you don't buy AMERICAN MADE PRODUCTS when you can, YOU AREN'T supporting our country. It doesn't get any simpler than that.
Not a popular opinion here especially, but it is mine and it is what drives many of my purchase decisions.

08FEH
So in your ideal world there would be no trade of any kind between countries? How about no trade between the different states. Maybe you should only buy what is produced in your county.

My purchases support the manufacturer of the product, and has nothing to do with the nation, state, county or city the manufacturer is located.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

Tw,

As the article says (and I have for years). Regardless of where it is built or what parts it has, the largest profits are made at the manufacturing level. Hence, the largest portion of profit from ANY JAPANESE car, simply goes back to Japan.

08FEH
At the risk of repeating myself, this is too simplistic. The profits, to the extent they are distributed, go to the shareholders. Retained profits or internally held shares only hold the assets temporarily. Some countries restrict stock ownership, but it is technically possible for Toyota to be completely owned by US citizens and/or US investment companies. Similarly, it is possible to GM to be fully owned by investors outside the US. In the modern world, corporations have no boundaries, except for those in state controlled economies. And they are doomed to be marginal companies in the long run.

Just to be clear, I'm saying this as someone who always "buys American" and can't understand why anyone would buy a car as bland and boring as a Toyota.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:46 AM
Prius geek

May the best product win. Capitalism at it's finest and worst at the same time.

Didn't our ancestors move here and build this country to have the freedom of choice? Force me to choose something I don't want or like and you're asking for a revolution.

C'mon, follow the market. What's selling (digital media, ie CD/DVD, etc.), what's not (analog, ie, VCR, tapes, etc.) Still in the analog business, better change to survive.

MPG selling? Green, low-emission cars selling? Better change from large, polluting inefficient cars to Prius-like vehicles.

From a consumer standpoint, where I spend my money seems to be from companies who are selling the product I want and like. Is that too simple to follow? Can I help it if companies other than in my home country are filling my need, all the while my home country insists I need something that I know I don't want or like?

Huh, does marketing like that really work on us dumb 'ol 'mericans?

Old 10-11-2007, 07:43 AM
Enthusiast

Want an even MORE unpopular opinion? Personally, I don't CARE to support my country. I make no loyalties to the U.S government and I don't idolatize the flag. My loyalties lie with people, all people, not governments.

As long as Honda, Toyota, and Nissian continue to be better for their employees and thier customers then Ford, GM, and Daimler I will continue to support them with my dollar regardless of their "nation of origin."

Old 10-12-2007, 01:59 AM
joe540ci

BEIJING (AP) - China's trade surplus soared to its fourth-highest monthly level on record in September amid strong demand for its exports, the government said Friday, adding to pressure on Beijing to take action on market barriers and loosening currency controls.

The $23.9 billion surplus, reported by the Commerce Ministry, was an increase of 56 percent over the September 2006 gap of $15.3 billion.

The Chinese government says it is not actively trying to inflate its trade surplus, but some American lawmakers are pressing for sanctions if Beijing fails to take faster action to ease currency controls that they say are fueling the trade gap.

September's figures put the cumulative surplus for the first nine months of the year at $185 billion, surpassing the $177.5 billion surplus reported for all of 2006.
More
China's Trade Surplus Swells in Sept. - AOL Money & Finance who cares about Toyota with this going on..

Old 10-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by thezed
Want an even MORE unpopular opinion? Personally, I don't CARE to support my country. I make no loyalties to the U.S government and I don't idolatize the flag. My loyalties lie with people, all people, not governments.

As long as Honda, Toyota, and Nissian continue to be better for their employees and thier customers then Ford, GM, and Daimler I will continue to support them with my dollar regardless of their "nation of origin."
I prefer blatant honest in support of a position I disagree to maintaining any opinion in the face if clear facts to the contrary.

Although I do not agree with your position, I can respect the honesty of it.

Peace,

Martin

Old 10-14-2007, 06:27 AM

Thanks for the honesty Keith,

Your country will still be here for you, that is what America is all about.

Your government still there for you while you sleep, still there for you if there is a fire, medical or police need and you call 911 for help, they are still there for you 24-7-365.

Still there, dying for you in war, willing to leave their family, so you can be free to enjoy life in this country with yours. Still there to protect you and your family.
Still there to help you and your family if your country is ever attacked again.

So I think you are correct that your opinion is even more unpopular than mine.

But, as you said, even though you don't "care to support your country", your country will still be there to support you.

08FEH

Old 10-15-2007, 08:28 AM
Dazed and Confused

Thanks for the honesty Keith,

Your country will still be here for you, that is what America is all about.

Your government still there for you while you sleep, still there for you if there is a fire, medical or police need and you call 911 for help, they are still there for you 24-7-365.

Still there, dying for you in war, willing to leave their family, so you can be free to enjoy life in this country with yours. Still there to protect you and your family.
Still there to help you and your family if your country is ever attacked again.

So I think you are correct that your opinion is even more unpopular than mine.

But, as you said, even though you don't "care to support your country", your country will still be there to support you.

08FEH
But is our country there to support us?

How many US citizens are for illegal immigration.

How many US citizens agree with how our government is being run?

How many US citizens aggree with the decision of our law makers?

I think you will find that they are not supporting us as much as you think, and are supporting their own agendas more.

Me, I personaly try to support the american economy as much as possible, but feel the american car manufacturers have moved too far away from what I want to support them. If they make what I want and will perform how I feel it is supposed to, then I will give the preferential treatment. Untill then, I will still buy a "foreign" car if it is better.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by ag4ever
But is our country there to support us?

Although I would never wish the need on anyone, but your question would be answered if you ever had to dial 911. Your question would be answered if this country is ever attacked again like on Sept. 11th. Your question would be answered if you ever had severe weather cause you to lose your home, or you needed a hurricane shelter, or grocery assistance, or lost your job and needed an income while unemployed. I could go on and on...

All easy things to overlook in a society of greed and unthankfulness.

08FEH

Quick Reply: The United States of Toyota (article)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands