Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Car and Driver: grits their teeth

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 09:02 AM
Engineering first
Default Car and Driver: grits their teeth

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...omparison_test
  1. First Place Honda Civic Hybrid - 91 Points
  2. Second Place: Toyota Prius - 90 Points
  3. Third Place: VW Jetta GLS TDI - 78 Points
  4. Fourth Place: Toyota Echo - 3 Points
Car and Driver worked hard to make the tests "real world," which means exceeding the speed limit when possible and other inefficient driving techniques. They also seem to hate computer controlled cars and seem to associate Microsoft with all software systems . . .

Bob Wilson

Old 03-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Car and Driver: grits their teeth

Time warp? The article is from 2004, writes disparagingly of diesel cars, and otherwise doesn't seem to have a focus. The "points" assigned seem to be mostly arbitrary and are not explained well.

I did chuckle about the reference to the Rambler American - that was my first car, not a mpg champ by any stretch. I was lucky to get over 25mpg with it.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:32 PM
Energy Independence!

Car and driver has some very knowledgeable people, true gas-thru-the veins folks. And there lies its largest weakness...they are utterly and hopelessly biased.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Enthusiast

Pity they didn't drive in peak hour traffic like most folks would do with their normal commute. Would make the hybrids look even more impressive compared to the other 2 cars.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Energy Independence!

In a sense, the C&D writers are similar to the Playboy writers. They live in a fantasy world.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bulldog
Pity they didn't drive in peak hour traffic like most folks would do with their normal commute. Would make the hybrids look even more impressive compared to the other 2 cars.
Thats the thing with their tests. They drive around country areas on weekends. Like driving from the exurbs of LA to Santa Babara in a weekend. Not the kind of driving conditions we experience in day to day life.

After dealing with the traffic grind during the week I typically don't drive for "pleasure" on the weekends unless I have to or the weather is perfect. (And yes here in Chicago it was perfect this past weekend, but thats the first time in 5 months and maybe the last for another month).

Their editor's ratings of the 8th gen model shows their bias:
Editor's Ratings
* Enthusiast Rating: 5/10
* Consumer Appeal: 6/10

For performance-oriented editors used to driving all kinds of sportscars without regard to gas or the economics of ownership I could see a rating of 5. But I seriously doubt the consumer appeal is really 6/10. Resale values tell the tale of consumer appeal and the HCH2 holds them as well as the Prius.

Last edited by ChicagoHCHII; 04-08-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Meanwhile, Car and Driver will herald a fun car to drive that has a good fuel efficiency rating without questioning how their own driving affects actual mileage. Read this review topic on FitFreak for a giggle.