Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Motorweek warns "stay back" from hybrid in accident

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 09:38 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Motorweek warns "stay back" from hybrid in accident

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
I am pretty sure you also have to put the car "in gear" or pushing the throttle does nothing.

Could someone contact the author and suggest they have made an error in their facts and data. Point out that the car has a parking "paw" and in "P" won't move. Also point out that if "in gear" and the throttle is not pushed, the car will creep forward on its own. The "gear" selector has to be manually operated.

Bob Wilson
I think their point is well taken to be honest. With two ICE only vehicles if they are in a collision you can tell if the motors are still running, so that if you were to pull someone from the car and accidentally hit the gas petal you know if the car will move or not. With a hybrid you may think the car is off and it really isn't and if you were to accidentally press the gas pedal during your attempt to help you may actually cause the car to move, or wheels to turn? I don't see what being in park has to do with it, assuming if the accident is bad enough that it requires EMT's to extract a person, I think it is safe to say the person never moved the car into park after the accident occurred.

I didn't take the article to really have a negative spin, it seemed more an attempt to highlight some differences between the functionality of hybrid and standard ICE vehicle that can make the procedures that one follows during a resue attempt to be different.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Enthusiast

In essence, what this fear boils down to is the fear of the unknown. In Hollywood, horror film makers use this concept all the time. In the film trilogy aliens, you never see a full size image of the antagonist because it allows the imagination to connect the dots and unleash the minds capability to create any haunting image it wants. If you want another perfect example watch Jaws. When the public at large doesn't understand something it ushers a tremendous amount of skepticism. Combine this with American's tenacity to fight with bloated opinions and you get one whale of skewed pit of nonsense.

The key to this lack of rationality is to develop the public's habits towards finding there own answers and not taking the media's squawking for scientific proof.

I only wish American journalism came close to the practices of the BBC news. We're getting brain washed because there is no proactive forum of sharing ideas only blusterous attitudes.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:52 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

We actually turn the keys off and make sure the car is in park on any vehicle in an accident, running or not, hybrid or not.
If a car is damaged bad enough that I would question the integrity of the hybrid system, there's mos tliekly a host of other issues to deal with regarding extrication of the (possibly deceased) patients. I personally don't work with anyone who is wary of hybrids, we just use common sense and make sure the scene is safe.

I have to agree with the author about bystanders staying away from accidents. I've pulled up on bystanders pulling people in no danger through sunroofs of rollovers, all kinds of absolutely bad ideas by good-intentioned citizens.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Engineering first

Hi Mike,

The only time I stop at an accident is when I witness it. I follow these rules:
  • protect the scene - try to use my car and blinkers to stop other traffic from hitting the accident
  • call for help - I'm on my cell phone to 911 as I walk to the accident
  • Marine Corps first aid - (1) protect the wound, (2) breathing, and (3) bleeding. I'm only going to be there until someone relieves me and only one injured person treated where ever they are. Unless there is fire, we're staying right there.
  • I will ask the responders if I should move my car or otherwise, I'll stand out of their way - at the earliest opportunity, I'm going to move my vehicle out of the way.
If I come across and accident and there is at least one emergency vehicle there, I'm going to give everyone a wide berth and get the "H*LL out of their way!" I don't look or gawk at the accident but the road and the cars around me. There will be plenty of newspaper articles later and there I would just be in the way.

Bob Wilson

Old 11-29-2008, 09:33 AM
Enthusiast

I do and teach Vehicle Rescue for a living, there are a few falicies in these posts. First off after all the hype we have discovered after cutting these vehicles apart, all the hype is for not. It is allot like the myths when Airbags were new in cars - rescuers were scaredof them also.

We treat every car the same- assess the incident, chock the wheels, stabilize the car, either have the occupant or a rescue shut the car off and put it in park or a gear for a manual trans. As we all know this stops any current in the lines to the battery/motor

IF a pre crash sensor acivates the current is disabled and the car is a gas powered vehicel, if and airbag activates or damage to the undercarage the same occurs. It is not really a hybrid vehicle after a crash.

At a crash scene you can not here a car running or not- the sound of a police car, fire engine, rescue truck, and medic unit will drown the sound out so we always check to see if the car ignition is in the off position

Rescuers do not wear special gloves for electrical hazards - fire gloves are thick leather (Elk, Kangaroo, Cow) with a Gore liner. Extrication gloves are like mechanics gloves (made by the same companies) with more kevlar for protection. There were a few manufactures like Hurst and Rescue Jack who tried to put a toolon the market that was just for the Hybrid hype- all have been discontinued

We don't look at the wiring much because all cars can have orange or blue wiring - a big three phase orange wire is common sense - don't lick it.

Most of the ERG (emerency Response Guides) don't give you much useful information. We use a computer program that scans the vin and pops up on the tablet computer with the hazards in the vehicle. AT a crash scene most of the time it is not a possibility to work on getting to a fuse, etc when a life is on the line and you know the car is a car and we cut them all the time. I have cut at least 10 hybrids at crashes - get over the hype, it is a car.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

It's great to hear from someone in the thick of things.
Thanks for posting.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:05 PM
Enthusiast

I have to add to this post. The first thing is the manufactures do give you all the information you need. You have to read it to make it useful. The mfg's also tell you no matter what the situation is always approach a hybrid vehicle like it is powered up never assume because an air bag has deployed that the system is shutdown. One thing no one has mentioned is that it can take up to ten minutes for some hybrid vehicles to power down. This original article was meant for one reason let the people trained for these vehicles do their job. They are professionals the public is not.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:43 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

There is nothing in the car ( IE, Capacitors ) that take "10 minutes to power down".

That is false. In case of accident, it is either on or off.
I suppose, if hit "just right" the car could stay on.
P.S. You can submege a hybrid car in a pool or lake, and nothing bad will happen. Well, you may void your warranty!

Bustin' Myths since 2005....

Old 12-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Enthusiast

Well you better read up on the ERG for the ford escape before you make a statement like that. I also suggest you read the shut down times. Knowledge is power and the lack of knowledge can cause serious injury or death. John Emery is an instructor that has done live training on hybrids. He has found in fire situations that Hybrids do not always shut down. This can mean a high voltage cable that is not only still powered up but may no longer appear orange in color. I honestly suggest before you make any statements you read the manufacturers guides. I have been doing research for the company I am employed by since January of 2008. We have talked to trainers, first responders and the makers of the ERG guides and yes they have many safety features built in but no gurantees.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Enthusiast

This is right from the ERG guide for the Escape 2008

If the vehicle is submerged in water , do not touch any high voltage components or cables while extricating the occupants. Do not remove the vehicle until you are sure the high voltage battery is completely discharged. A submerged high voltage battery may produce a fizzing or bubbling reaction. The high voltage battery will be discharged when the fizzing or bubbling has completely stopped

Quick Reply: Motorweek warns "stay back" from hybrid in accident

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands