Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Jump HV Batt? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/jump-hv-batt-26683/)

prg 03-09-2011 03:27 PM

Jump HV Batt?

Just out of curiosity, Is there any way to start a 2009 FEH if the HV Batt gets too low or dead? The earlier FEH's had the 12V-HV "jump" button, but not the later models. I have not had it happen but just thinking ahead.

econoline 03-09-2011 04:01 PM

Re: Jump HV Batt?

What does the owner's manual say?

GaryG 03-09-2011 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by prg (Post 234004)
Just out of curiosity, Is there any way to start a 2009 FEH if the HV Batt gets too low or dead? The earlier FEH's had the 12V-HV "jump" button, but not the later models. I have not had it happen but just thinking ahead.

It appears to me Ford created new battery module programming not to allow the battery to drain below 32% in the '09 FEH under any abuse circumstances like prior models could. Many here including myself have seen the SoC drop below 32% running accessories in the older models. Ford has a jump-start feature for this reason in the '05 - '08 models but went to a fail-safe system in the '09 FEH and eliminated owner jump-starts to prolong battery life and control its warranties.

Ford has thought ahead for you to prevent early battery failure in the '09 FEH from battery drain abuse, so relax.

GaryG

wilcal 03-09-2011 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by prg (Post 234004)

I think someone here mentioned that the "jump" button really
just warms the battery up, not recharge it. Interesting concept.
Recharge a 330VDC battery. A long long time ago, far far away
I had the opportunity to get zapped by a 400VDC ( military )
power supply. Not a pleasant sensation.

Billyk 03-09-2011 08:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 2921
I dropped mine to 13.8 one day and it started up without issue. I did not intentionally try to run down the HV to this level. I would not recommend trying to do so.

GatorJ 02-19-2024 05:25 PM

In case someone finds this old thread, the answer to the original question is now "yes."

LINK