Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Prius (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-prius-10/)
-   -   Letting Prius Sit for Long Periods (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-prius-10/letting-prius-sit-long-periods-32741/)

2008 Prius 06-24-2021 12:04 PM

Letting Prius Sit for Long Periods

Newb here...

Daughter moved to NYC and took our '08 Prius. She uses the car once a week at best. Often just to move to a new parking spot.

Anyway, today, the battery was dead. Bought a new battery and Toyota dealer told her driving once a week was not sufficient and to expect the battery to die often. Now wondering if her driving habits make sense to own a Prius?

Can it sit for a week at a time, then only get driven for 30-40 minutes - once a week?

Other than this dead battery, the car has been flawless. The most reliable car I've ever owned - hands down.

Thanks for your advice.

S Keith 06-24-2021 12:20 PM

Re: Letting Prius Sit for Long Periods

Originally Posted by 2008 Prius (Post 273282)
Newb here...

Daughter moved to NYC and took our '08 Prius. She uses the car once a week at best. Often just to move to a new parking spot.

Anyway, today, the battery was dead. Bought a new battery and Toyota dealer told her driving once a week was not sufficient and to expect the battery to die often. Now wondering if her driving habits make sense to own a Prius?

Can it sit for a week at a time, then only get driven for 30-40 minutes - once a week?

Other than this dead battery, the car has been flawless. The most reliable car I've ever owned - hands down.

Thanks for your advice.

The dealer is correct. Why drive a hybrid if you're not going to drive and get the benefits while carrying the risk of the additional failure potentials?

I recommend 3 drives/week minimum for 10 miles each or 20-30 minutes each, BUT 500 minimum miles per month, meaning there will be some extended drives sprinkled in there.

Disabling the smartkey system will help lessen the drain on the 12V.

2008 Prius 06-24-2021 12:53 PM

Thanks for the fast reply.

Can you walk me through disabling the Smartkey system?

S Keith 06-24-2021 01:31 PM

There is a "KEY" button below the steering column. In is disabled, out is enabled.

2008 Prius 06-24-2021 01:43 PM

Got it thanks.

One more question...

In general, does disabling this make a real difference, or just negligible?

Thanks.

S Keith 06-24-2021 04:07 PM

It is most meaningful when driven once a week or less frequently.

2008 Prius 06-25-2021 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by S Keith (Post 273288)
It is most meaningful when driven once a week or less frequently.

Thank you very much. You have been very helpful!