Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Off Topic (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/off-topic-9/)
-   -   Honda Powered Indy 500 without engine problems (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/off-topic-9/honda-powered-indy-500-without-engine-problems-7641/)

Archslater 05-31-2006 10:35 AM

Honda Powered Indy 500 without engine problems

Robert Clarke (President, Honda Performance Development) on Honda powering the entire 33-car field: "We believe this is the first time the Indianapolis 500 has been run without a single engine problem."

fernando_g 06-01-2006 08:02 AM

Re: Honda Powered Indy 500 without engine problems

That is amazing. I knew Honda had entered the league, but was not aware that it is now powering every single racing car!

Could you add more info?

Archslater 06-01-2006 08:50 AM

Last year the league used Chevrolet, Toyota and Honda. Honda dominated the field. This year the others pulled out leaving only Honda engines. I couldn't find any statistics to back up the statement from the Honda rep in the title post, but interesting anyway. I've been to 7 Indy 500 races, and there are always several cars with blown engines who slow down spouting oil and smoke. Didn't happen this time. I believe the engines were made by Honda and Ilmore.

fernando_g 06-02-2006 07:13 AM

Thanks for your explanation, and yet another question:

If my memory serves me right, I remember that Indy league engines had some very specific requirements.....something like no turbocharging, 2 liter max displacement, and 4 cylinders.......

Am I remebering correctly or have I got my facts all mixed up?

gonavy 06-02-2006 08:11 AM

Similarly, Honda entered the F1 engine circuit in the early-mid 80s, and rapidly dominated there too. The McLaren and Williams teams used them first, and cleaned up through most of the decade. By the 90s, Honda was in most of the teams, leaving Ford/Cosworth and Ferrari engines to wither. I don't follow F1 anymore, so don't know the current state.

The old rules there were 3L/normal aspiration or 1.5Lturbo, and the fuel requirements were far stricter than Indy (CART then). But they still pumped out >1200BHP at the peak before new rules brought it down.

Guess what teams almost never ran out of fuel?

Archslater 06-02-2006 01:04 PM

Honda engine info here:

http://www.indycar.com/tech/engines.php

Not sure what the options are these days as far as turbo versus normally aspirated..... but there hasn't been a turbo car at Indy for awhile. Seems that they have tightened up the requirements.

Another interesting note, the cars run on a 10% ethanol, 90% methanol fuel this year, and are looking at going to %100 ethanol by 2008.