Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Off Topic (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/off-topic-9/)
-   -   Al Gore gets the Nobel Peace Prize . . . (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/off-topic-9/al-gore-gets-nobel-peace-prize-15629/)

FastMover 10-12-2007 04:39 PM

Al Gore gets the Nobel Peace Prize . . .

. . . and nobody posts a single thing on this site in a DAY?

:confused: Not I really do feel like we are going the way of the old hippies ... just getting desensitized to it all.

bwilson4web 10-12-2007 06:49 PM

Re: Al Gore gets the Novel Peace Prize . . .

I've always been more interested in awards for the physical sciences. I would rather see an award for science to those who came up with and modeled global warming, especially if they come up with a sea level rise prediction that proves out.

Bob Wilson

gumby 10-12-2007 07:34 PM

Yes, I'm kind of surprised about the apparent lack of interest here on Gore's Nobel Peace Prize. Perhaps it's early.

I don't know who the other candidates were. They were probably worthy. I believe Gore was worthy too.
This movie has significantly raised awareness to some of the reasons/issues/significance of global warming. Many still scoff at the notion, but many more have now heard about global-warming, thanks to a well-done informational video (it could've been better, though). It sparks conversations, if nothing else. This can lead to knowledge, and even action. That was the goal, and the movie delivered.

Pravus Prime 10-12-2007 09:55 PM

Re: Al Gore gets the Nobel Peace Prize . . .

Fixed the thread title. (Novel Peace Prize)

spartybrutus 10-13-2007 02:49 AM

I thought they were still counting the votes in Florida....

Mark E Smith 10-13-2007 07:29 AM

I would rather see Ed Begley jr get it, he lives it.

gumby 10-13-2007 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith (Post 146548)
I would rather see Ed Begley jr get it, he lives it.

True, e does. There are MANY living it everyday.
Who has had a bigger impact on getting the word out, though? Gore or Begley?
I venture a guess that most people in the US don't even recognize the name Ed Begley, Jr.

owenscasper 10-15-2007 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by gumby (Post 146518)
Yes, I'm kind of surprised about the apparent lack of interest here on Gore's Nobel Peace Prize. Perhaps it's early.

I don't know who the other candidates were. They were probably worthy. I believe Gore was worthy too.
This movie has significantly raised awareness to some of the reasons/issues/significance of global warming. Many still scoff at the notion, but many more have now heard about global-warming, thanks to a well-done informational video (it could've been better, though). It sparks conversations, if nothing else. This can lead to knowledge, and even action. That was the goal, and the movie delivered.

How is Gore worthy of the Peace prize? I can see other optional prizes being awarded:
  1. Best political commercial/fund-raiser video.
  2. Best use of tobacco crop subsidy payments.
  3. Best presentation of some of the facts, few realistic solutions and no consequences of such solutions.
  4. Best stealth primary campaign.
  5. Best swooning by liberal media.
But Peace Prize? It demeans the intent of such a prize.

Hot_Georgia_2004 10-16-2007 06:55 AM

I can't ever figure how they come up with these prize winners.

Since Gore is selected, shouldn't Roland Emmerich with his movie "The day after tomorrow" be co-winners?

How about Chris Paine and his "Who killed the electric car" movie? Although narrated by Martin Sheen, I find it at least feasable and interesting to watch.

-Steve

Mark E Smith 10-16-2007 07:03 AM

The Nobel Peace Prize has been made irrelevant buy their selections in past years.