I'm thinking of purchasing a 08 HCH, can anyone tell me what they don't like about it

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: I'm thinking of purchasing a 08 HCH, can anyone tell me what they don't like abou

BTW...if anyone on this forum who lives near Princeton NJ thinks they can get 40+mpg on my 2007 HCH, I'd be very happy to see a demonstration.

and I do think the EPA should be on the hotseat as well...but I think it is generally harder to sue a government regulatory agency. Honestly, i think the 2007 49 city rating is what makes honda an especially big target, especially since the 2008 rating on virtually the same car dropped to 40. This obviously implies the 2007 rating was problematic. I know honda wasnt complicit in this.

I dunno...i'm obviously biased as you are, but I tend to think this case may have some legs. I'm not sure 1, 2 or even several hundred depositions would be a deal breaker. If you're suing a wheelchair manufacturer for defective brakes, showing that 99% of owners are satisfied doesnt really cut it. The standard in this case is less obvious. I'd be interested to find out what the "true median" MPG of all HCH owners is.

Last edited by jpjpjpjpjp; 03-25-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: I'm thinking of purchasing a 08 HCH, can anyone tell me what they don't like abou

jpjpjpjpjp:

If you wish, you can also visit us at www.cleanMPG.com and ask for the same there. Many of our CleanMPG members often provide driving clinics depending on whether or not we have a member living in your area.
These driving clinics are especially useful for folks who are either skeptical (press) or new owners who are simply unable to attain the fuel economy potential of their hybrid vehicle.

Because these clinics happen in your car, it ends up being a big eyeful worth of learning.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 03-26-2008, 04:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jpjpjpjpjp
However, the other reality is, in our society, there is some expectation of accurate marketing. Where the line is drawn is of course subjective and we obviously disagree in this case.
Could you please give one example of inaccurate marketing that Honda has engaged in for the HCHII?

Thanks, nf

Old 03-26-2008, 10:25 AM
HypoFueler

Originally Posted by jpjpjpjpjp
BTW...if anyone on this forum who lives near Princeton NJ thinks they can get 40+mpg on my 2007 HCH, I'd be very happy to see a demonstration.

I'd be interested to find out what the "true median" MPG of all HCH owners is.
JP,

You may want to check that your HCH is functioning properly (self demo)... If you take it out on a flat, level road at say 55mph with CC on for a mile or two, you should be getting at least 50-60mpg.

Median is the middle of the samples (46mpg for 500+ HCH2s on this site). Perhaps you and some other hybrid owners are really after the 5th percentile (~35mpg on this site) so you can state that at least 95% of the HCH2 owners will get at least 35mpg.

I do agree however, that the HCH2 FE tends to be more sensitive (in MPG, not %) to typical commute (length, terrain, stops, speed) and driving style than non hybrids. On the other hand, the HCH2 can get high FE that most non hybrids.

Last edited by spartybrutus; 03-26-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Great Mileage and Green

I live a bit west of you, in Colorado, and my mileage this winter has indeed dropped from last summer, from an average of 49.85 July-September 2007 to 46.81 January-March 2008. That's really not much of a drop, and I don't have any issues with my car, nor the 2004 Civic Hybrid it replaced.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think I would have a hard time coming up with something I DON'T like about the car.

If the rear seats folded, that would be my only suggestion.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Enthusiast

Overall it's great & has saved me $$$ (travelling sales rep) but here are the dislikes:

*Huge blind spots, especially the front windshield 'A' pillars. Many times they've blocked views of cross traffic/pedestrians.
*CVT transmission, I hate it. It's schitzoid sometimes, almost acts like a teenager learning to drive a manual.
*Noisy. My previous car was an Audi Allroad, so maybe I was too pampered before?
*No guts, but at least I won't get a ticket.
*A/C can't keep up. So much glass, the culprit being the giant windsheild, it heats up quickly.
*No fold down rear seat like on the regular Civic. The battery pack is there, so it has to stay in place.
*Too LOW! I scrape bottom all the time on ramps/driveways that only exotic supercars should scrape on.
*Weird brake behavior, likely a function of the regen system. But still, pressing the brake and then losing/gaining braking power is scary and unpredictable. I've complained to the dealer but no avail.
*It's the opposite of my Audi: not a driver's car by any means. But it's 44.8mpg average is way better than the 17.4!!! (For fun I hit the Vespa scooter...)

Old 04-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

I miss that I cannot remotely roll down my windows when walking to the car. I really like that feature on my wife's Accord. Specially here in South Carolina during the summer!

Old 04-21-2008, 07:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have an 06 with 45k miles on it that has been flawless. YMMV.

Comfortable ride and decent handling (better than Prius)
Good interior size for small car
Exterior Styling grows on you and looks fresh
Cool Blue Interior fabric
CVT makes 'normal' AT's seem antique
Lifetime avg. of 45+ mpg
HOV Lance Access in CA
Audio System with MP3 player well integrated into Nav
No Emissions testing in CA

Dislikes
Engine starts as soon as you lift your foot off the brake pedal
Accessories very hard to install (XM Radio, lcd mirror)
No Homelink Option or Heated Seats
Voice Command flat out doesn't work
Nav system average at best.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Enthusiast

This post is probably too late, but I really like (my advice is to get )a used 2006-2007 Honda Accord Hybrid with sound-dampening, loads of acceleration in traffic, 4 doors. Just change out the nerdy-looking wheels.

Quick Reply: I'm thinking of purchasing a 08 HCH, can anyone tell me what they don't like about it

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands