HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Is theft of the HCH II abundant?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 04:28 PM
04 prius 350,000km
Default Re: Is theft of the HCH II abundant?

Originally Posted by Eskrimast1
Civics, regardless of year, get a bad rap because prior to the 2001-2005 generation, Civics did not have the key-immobilizer feature. Luckily for all HCH owners, the key-immobilizer feature was made standard in 2001 on all Civics. Not to say that this feature can't be defeated (there's almost no defense against a maverick tow truck picking up your car), but its more difficult than it used to be and its better than using a club-type device since you need a vehicle specific key to start the car.If someone can find statistics on pre-2001 Civic and 2001+ Civic thefts, I'd be interested to see how much of an impact the immobilizer had.

i'm part of that statistic, ever since I bought my 2004 civic coupe it came with an immobilizer. I told the ICBC that I didn't want theif insurance on it and they were like , "WHAT!?!!! ON A Civic? Are you crazy? ARe you sure? You realize your car is going to be gone right?"

All the usual threats, they could not believe what kind of coverage I was going for the brand new car, but hey three years later I have never experienced a break in and I live in the HEART OF SURREY BABY! If you ever heard of surrey from British Columbia Canada you know what I'm talking about. Even after renewing my insurance they were like "Are you sure? I honestly would feel so bad if your car got stolen right now (almost like they were going to hire someone....), I've got honda cars stacked up in there with immobilizers that have been stolen, and you think that immobilizer is going to save you?"

It sure has, maybe year 4 Ill get theft... or a new car I also use steering wheel lock and brake lock from time to time but I"m a lazy bum so I use it when "I feel like it"

haha ok time to use it now, I smell drug addicts coming up. If you watch baitcar.com you'll see how cars get stolen in where I live

haha what a world.

Old 06-28-2006, 08:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IMAhybrid
Why doesn't [lojack] work everywhere?
By reading the www.lojack.com it indicates that not all police departments currently participate in the lojack tracking. Perhaps they can recover it anywhere, don't know, but it lists where the service works and mentions in all other places they are working with law enforcement to expland the service coverage, but make a point that most major metropolitan and high population areas have the service available, as well as where high concentration of stolen vehicles transpire.

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 06-29-2006, 07:34 AM
Hybrideriffic!

Originally Posted by shawnb
By reading the www.lojack.com it indicates that not all police departments currently participate in the lojack tracking.
Check out this interesting Lojack alternative...

http://www.mymobileguardian.com/

The site doesn't give a clue as to how much it costs.

John L.

Old 07-13-2006, 10:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

If you don't want someone carjacking your vehicle.. I suggest purchasing one of these.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/232777.stm

Yes. Its real. I also hear of other variants. Machete-like blade under the drivers side door that is spring loaded when someone tries to invade your car uninvited. Woe to the invader's legs. Another was a shotgun hidden under the driver's seat. When the device is armed, and the driver's door is opened unexpectedly.. it fires.

Some crazy stuff I tell ya.

I do not endorse such devices. Its just crazy to what extremes some have gone for theft deterrence.

-G

Old 07-13-2006, 10:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

I personally think this theft deterent system is MUCH better!

http://www.trunkmonkey.com/content/view/44/51/

Kelly

Old 07-14-2006, 09:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

the hch theft detterent system is pretty good. in additional to requiring a standard key, they keys are coded to the car. this means that even a dealer key that is made for the car will not deactivate the immobilzer system if it has not been coded to the car. the immobilzer system both cuts off the fuel supply and electric ima system to the hybrid making it virtually impossible to start the car.

as a second level of defense, you can install the honda break-in sensor. in addition to the immobilizer, it senses breaking glass and triggers the alarm. with both of these systems in place, an hch wouldn't really be worth a thief's time. the thief would have to bypass the immobilizer system by somehow getting fuel into the engine and then bypass the electric system by somehow getting charge to the motor all while the alarm is going off.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:33 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryW
If you don't want someone carjacking your vehicle.. I suggest purchasing one of these.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/232777.stm
Wow, that's even better than 007's passenger ejector seat in Goldfinger!

And this 3rd World cesspool is supposed to host the 2010 World Cup?! Yeah, right. Expect FIFA to pull its politically-correct head out of is rear end in the not-too-distant future. Go here for confirmation.