Torque Pro Custom PID and Battery Test Results

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 09:54 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Torque Pro Custom PID and Battery Test Results

I removed the Lat and Long originally - not sure what those XYZ columns were. New spreadsheet uploaded.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Nothing is obviously wrong. The voltage stays within a 0.2-0.3V range. It depends on what you were running during the discharge. From what I can tell, the only thing one can glean from the Torque current data is if you're charging (-) or discharging (+).

The plot of the discharge follows:

What did you have on during the discharge?

Old 08-10-2020, 10:09 PM
Enthusiast

I followed your steps, so lights, full AC and rear defrost. So, it looks like this battery performed well?

TEST:
  1. Open Torque, display your battery data but do not record.
  2. Get the A/C going full blast
  3. Drive around until SoC is > 60%, higher is better. Use very light acceleration and moderate braking to favor charging.
  4. Come to a stop wherever you want to do the test
  5. Place in Neutral
  6. Turn on REAR defroster
  7. If you haven't already, turn A/C & rear A/C on full blast, fresh air, minimum temp
  8. Turn on head lights
  9. Start Torque Recording
  10. If possible, wait until you get to at 40% SoC. Go lower if you can.
  11. When terminating test, place in Park.
  12. Kill A/C, rear defroster and lights
  13. Allow car to charge at idle.
  14. Once car shuts off, or 5 minutes have elapsed, stop logging.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:11 PM

Cool. 4 minutes of A/C with the engine off is pretty good. You've presented nothing that suggests this battery is unhealthy or prone to failure in the short term.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:25 PM
Enthusiast

Good to hear! Thanks for your expertise. This is actually a Green Bean battery I had installed today. I went to two dealers and neither would sell me a battery because they swore my HV battery was fine (see post #38 for my test results from March) and my issues were other hybrid parts causing my lurching, dying when taking off from stoplights, and constantly throwing P061B and POAC4.

I just need the truck to last me 2 more years...so went with GB instead of trying a 3rd dealer who would sell me a battery.

Old 09-13-2020, 12:30 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
EDIT: For n00bz looking to reproduce it on their own... this was accomplished as follows:

SETUP:
  1. Need Android phone or tablet
  2. Need OBDII bluetooth adapter. I used this one: https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1540518749&sr=8-2&keywords=BAFX
  3. Purchase Torque Pro for $4.95
  4. Download the ZIP file, unzip the .CSV; copy the CSV file to your phone and add to Torque per these instructions: http://torquebhp.wikia.com/wiki/How_..._extended_PIDs
  5. Flag the GM PIDs for logging in Torque Pro
  6. Setup a display showing SoC, Current and the 20 block voltages on the real-time screen
  7. Settings icon - start recording when you want to log, stop when done, email CSV log from same menu.
TEST:
  3. Drive around until SoC is > 60%, higher is better. Use very light acceleration and moderate braking to favor charging.
  5. Place in Neutral
  7. If you haven't already, turn A/C & rear A/C on full blast, fresh air, minimum temp
  8. Turn on head lights
  15. Email the log in CSV format to yourself
  16. Post here, and I'll chart it for you and give my colorful commentary.
--------------------------

All information is as reported by Torque Pro. Zip of CSV containing Custom PID for Torque Pro attached. Note the current is completely wrong, but it's usually right when you are looking at the sign, i.e., "-" is charge and positive is discharge.

Never had occasion to do it myself, but encountered a 2008 Yukon with 124K miles throwing P061B and P0AC4 codes, so I seized the opportunity.

At time of testing P061B was active but P0AC4 was "pending".

Here is the entire 37 minute recording, mostly idling with A/C bull blast. There's a drive starting around 18:11 and a "controlled" discharge test for 2 minutes starting around 18:14:35:

For convenience, the horizontal lines are spaced 0.2V. A healthy battery should have all blocks within that range, so anything outside of that is suspect.

As you can see, block voltage deviation was pretty bad. No matter what I did, I couldn't get Torque Pro to pull data more than about once every 2 seconds, so that's definitely an issue that creates uncertainty; however, the magnitude of the deviations pretty much put the nail in this battery's coffin.

The following chart is a zoom-in to the 2 minute discharge following the drive:

Don't remember what happened there near the middle, but basically this was accomplished by running A/C full blast, running rear defroster and headlights while auto stopped. Was probably around 8-9A of load.

It's worth noting that this was only from about 56% to 46% SoC. V01 was consistently the highest during discharge and the lowest during charge indicating this is likely the only semi-healthy block.

The fact that 19 blocks are spread through a 0.8-1.0V range WELL BELOW the strongest apparent block screams that this battery has suffered massive permanent damage.

Looks like 100% of charts posted confirm that the GM Hybrid batteries are basically destroyed when it comes time to replace them.

I would encourage anyone that has purchased a replacement battery to repeat this exercise and post here to document how a healthy battery behaves. If you're in the Phoenix are, swing by, and I'll do it for you...
It's clear this noob is over his head with adding the pids. 😁 Downloaded file directly to phone opened Torque went to manage pids then to preset all I see is transmission fluid temp. Any chance there's a class I can take to do this simple process? Am I missing a step? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-06-2021, 09:32 AM
Enthusiast

Hey S Keith,

Work your magic if you'd be so kind. It seems my battery might not be too bad. This was a drive cycle, when I parked at roughly 9:26, I initiated the discharge with headlights and fogs, ac on high, rear defroster, radio, etc., then let it charge back up.

Not sure why it only recharged to 47% soc? Also, logging was only once per second.

Attached Files
File Type: xlsx
yukon battery, 3-6-21.xlsx (723.7 KB, 33 views)
Old 03-06-2021, 02:10 PM

Looks good to me. I discarded everything except the 3 minutes or so where it discharged to the lowest SoC (around 28 min).

Chart2

dV, (Max block - min block voltage) plotted on left y-axis.

SoC and current plotted on right y-axis.

Block deviation never exceeded 0.3V in that segment including the two areas where there was a higher load. The voltage dipped and rebounded, so it was a legit current "spike."

The only block deviations that were high throughout the data set were at start/stop transitions with very abrupt current changes. These spikes in deviation are more associated with data rate than actual comparative voltage values - they're just sampled at different times, rather than the same moment in time, so you're comparing apples to an apple about a second ago. Voltage deviations in constant current conditions are more representative of actual.

Your battery does not exhibit the typical deterioration present in an aged or failing battery. I suspect your driving style (conservative acceleration - an effort to get good mileage) and less high-temp damage has contributed to the longevity of your battery. It's very likely that it has deteriorated measurably since new, but not to the threshold where it's apparent. The data to determine that are essentially impossible to capture without accurate current values and sustained discharges over 20% of the SoC range. With Techstream and a Toyota, it's trivial. With torque pro and an OBDII adapter on a GM, the data just isn't there.

Congrats!

Attached Files
Old 04-27-2021, 07:58 PM
Enthusiast

S Keith - Please do your magic! Thank you!

i followed your test:instructions:

TEST:
  5. Place in Neutral
  8. Turn on head lights

Attached Files
File Type: csv
09_HYHO.csv (164.6 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by dawgfan1606; 04-27-2021 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:49 PM

dV stays at or below 0.2V in almost all cases. The spikes correspond with significant changes in current. I would presume that those are more likely due to sampling rate and not due to actual block voltage deviation.

Attached Files
File Type: zip
09_HYHO.zip (58.7 KB, 8 views)

Quick Reply: Torque Pro Custom PID and Battery Test Results

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands