IMA battery dead at 109k. Honda USA worthless...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs down IMA battery dead at 109k. Honda USA worthless...

I purchased by 2003 Civic Hybrid (which until this afternoon, I loved) from a private individual in January 2006. It had 48k on it when I purchased it. I've had exactly zero problems with the car until last week, when the IMA system light came on and stayed on. Today I took it in and the dealer tells me the code indicates I need a new battery. He said it had an 8 year/80k mile warranty from Honda, which I understand. He also told me Honda has a reputation for working with people on things like this.

So I called American Honda's customer service number and explained the situation. The gentleman I spoke to said there was nothing he could do since it was out of warranty. I told him what the dealer people had said, and that I've been a loyal Honda customer since 1986. He said that might make a difference, and if I had the VIN's of some or all of the previous Hondas, that would help. I do have the VIN of my 1994 Civic, which had 248,000 miles on it when I sold it in 2006. He promised to have the customer service manager call me back on it.

"Armen" called me back this afternoon, and basically said "sorry Charlie". I'm out of luck. I'm stuck with a car, the heart of which is now dead, and which Honda has no interest in helping me out with. The new (actually remanufactured) battery and labor will be almost $2500. They weren't willing to meet me half way, or basically to give me the time of day. "Armen" didn't ask for my previous VIN, and didn't seem to care that I've been a Honda customer for probably longer than he's been alive.

He said that since I don't have a service history with this car at the local dealer (that's because nothing has broken...), they have no way to know how I've treated the car. I could understand that, except that he's talking about oil changes and tire rotations - none of which has anything whatever to do with the maintenance-free IMA system.

So basically, I'm stuck. I have an IMA battery that's on its way out, and I'm stuck for $2500 worth of repair on a five year old car that I only paid $13k for.

As I told "Armen" - this is my last Honda. I'll talk to Toyota from now on. He didn't seem to give a rat's behind about losing a customer over $1000 worth of customer service good will. If he'd even said they'd knock $500 off of it, I'd have been elated. Instead, he dug in his heels and has lost a customer of almost 25 years standing.

I hope you all enjoy your Civic Hybrids. I'm in the market for a used Prius at the moment.

Butch

Old 06-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA battery dead at 109k. Honda USA worthless...

My personal experience with Honda is that they really don't give a flip when you need them. I have driven them since 1986, but I am through with them. There are no Honda products in my garage at this time, first time in 22 years..........I fought with them over the run flat tires on our Odyssey van until I gave up and sold it. They have no regard to loyalty unfortunately.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Enthusiast

Sorry you all had this experience. I don't work for Honda but own 4 and have since 1986. When my valves were trashed by a broken timing belt - they paid all the parts cost - it was a lot of money! They were very good about it. Also, you should be glad the battery pack is only $2500 - due to a recent price cut. Be interested to hear if you have a similar experience with your new significant other at Toyota.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pBen
Sorry you all had this experience. I don't work for Honda but own 4 and have since 1986. When my valves were trashed by a broken timing belt - they paid all the parts cost - it was a lot of money! They were very good about it. Also, you should be glad the battery pack is only $2500 - due to a recent price cut. Be interested to hear if you have a similar experience with your new significant other at Toyota.
Was your car still under warranty when the valves were trashed? I'm not asking them to foot the entire bill for this battery. I'm simply asking that they acknowledge that

a. I've been a loyal customer for nearly 25 years

b. Have had a problem with a "new technology" vehicle that they made

and c. It's unusual for this part of the system to go bad this soon.

The fact that "Armen" simply refused to listen to anything I had to say *and* that he lied to me (which we both knew) only put fuel on the fire of my anger.

Nope, I've loved my Hondas for 22 years, but this is the last one.

B

Old 06-09-2008, 06:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

--

Last edited by pagemap; 06-09-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I really don't see how this is an issue. You were never guaranteed a battery pack free from failure for the lifetime of the car. It's still a relatively young car that should give you at least another five years of service before cost of repairs makes it prohibitive to keep. I think that is worth $2,500, especially after that great used vehicle price and the continued savings in fuel.

Why are you letting one outcome negate all your previous happiness? So throw in the towel and take another 25 years whether Toyota is more generous to you. It's a long shot...

Old 06-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Enthusiast

You wrote, "Was your car still under warranty when the valves were trashed?"

My 86 civic lost its timing belt about 400 miles away from home. It had about 75K miles on the engine. While I was out of warranty, Honda did reply to my letter and phone call and agreed to cover parts but not labor (that was the dealer's business). Soon after Honda changed their service recommendation for timing belt for 85 and 86 civics to 60K miles. After 86 they went to 90K and now they are at around 105 or so...(01 Odyssey).

Regarding the battery pack. In California our warranty is 15 years/150,000 miles. The standard I guess is 80/8yr.

Honda hasn't been perfect but they are the top rated car company from consumer reports with all models making the recommended. Toyota and Subaru are second/third. All good cars but all mechanical with limited life. While I agree Honda should recognize a loyal customer, they are a business trying to make money - as much as possible and repeat buyers is important to them but to a point. I've bought Apple Macs since 1984 - loyal when they weren't cool to own - but Apple doesn't owe me anything except to serve me well when I do have a problem and I'm within warranty. (I usually get the extended warranties).

It would have been nice though to not have been misled by the dealer. But I have to agree that the $2500 you put into your car will be money well spent both in gas savings and more years of service. Not sure how many non-Honda/Toyotas will do that for you.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ButchVA
I purchased by 2003 Civic Hybrid (which until this afternoon, I loved) from a private individual in January 2006. It had 48k on it when I purchased it. I've had exactly zero problems with the car until last week, when the IMA system light came on and stayed on. Today I took it in and the dealer tells me the code indicates I need a new battery. He said it had an 8 year/80k mile warranty from Honda, which I understand. He also told me Honda has a reputation for working with people on things like this.

So I called American Honda's customer service number and explained the situation. The gentleman I spoke to said there was nothing he could do since it was out of warranty. I told him what the dealer people had said, and that I've been a loyal Honda customer since 1986. He said that might make a difference, and if I had the VIN's of some or all of the previous Hondas, that would help. I do have the VIN of my 1994 Civic, which had 248,000 miles on it when I sold it in 2006. He promised to have the customer service manager call me back on it.

"Armen" called me back this afternoon, and basically said "sorry Charlie". I'm out of luck. I'm stuck with a car, the heart of which is now dead, and which Honda has no interest in helping me out with. The new (actually remanufactured) battery and labor will be almost $2500. They weren't willing to meet me half way, or basically to give me the time of day. "Armen" didn't ask for my previous VIN, and didn't seem to care that I've been a Honda customer for probably longer than he's been alive.

He said that since I don't have a service history with this car at the local dealer (that's because nothing has broken...), they have no way to know how I've treated the car. I could understand that, except that he's talking about oil changes and tire rotations - none of which has anything whatever to do with the maintenance-free IMA system.

So basically, I'm stuck. I have an IMA battery that's on its way out, and I'm stuck for $2500 worth of repair on a five year old car that I only paid $13k for.

As I told "Armen" - this is my last Honda. I'll talk to Toyota from now on. He didn't seem to give a rat's behind about losing a customer over $1000 worth of customer service good will. If he'd even said they'd knock $500 off of it, I'd have been elated. Instead, he dug in his heels and has lost a customer of almost 25 years standing.

I hope you all enjoy your Civic Hybrids. I'm in the market for a used Prius at the moment.

Butch

what some other people said are true. But you should also know that the person you were talking to was outsourced (as many companies do with customer support) and so their knowledge of what the company does or does not do is not 100%. I worked in customer support for a few weeks, and we did things for the customer that reps wouldnt dream of in order to keep the customer happy. I recommend you give them a few more calls and explain the situation again. You might have just gotten a bad rep. Since your dealer said that in many cases honda covers at least part of the work (and so I've heard on these forums as well) you pretty much have nothing to lose except a few hours of your time in the possibility of having Honda cover part or all of the work.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:34 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Ok, don't kill the messenger but I would like to add a little to this thread.

Right out of high school I worked for several dealerships (more years ago than I would like to admit)...

This is a classic example of why I always have my car serviced at the dealership, even for the oil changes and tire rotations. Sure it's a little more money to have basic services done there, but it DOES make a difference to the warranty/goodwill reviews.

When you tell them you are a loyal customer, they LOOK for service records. Even though there is NO relation between oil changes and your battery crapping out, they look to see your loyalty level..

I am a firm believer, and I have seen it happen where just having receipts for one or two years worth of oil changes, tire rotation, replace a bulb, has proven to make a difference if you need some "good will" help..

On a lighter note, what car can you get for $2500.00 that will return such great mileage?
If a transmission went bad in any non hybrid vehicle, it would be about $2500.00 easily.

While I am not a foreign car fan(please let's not go there), Honda does make a very reliable vehicle especially in the ice and vct arena. I would doubt you will have any trouble with these two parts, so go ahead and buy the battery.. $2500 is a drop in the bucket when you look at the bigger picture!!

08FEH

Old 06-10-2008, 06:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I agree with '08 FEH. You would lose more than $2,500 in the transaction of selling the Civic and buying a used Prius. Besides, Toyota isn't going to take care of you any differently than Honda did.

Quick Reply: IMA battery dead at 109k. Honda USA worthless...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands